• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tax deductions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know you can write off professional publications such as magazines which are not required, but the haircut and shaving supplies are a no. I emailed the IRS a couple years ago and they said haircuts and shaving supplies are not deductable as a work related expense because you would do it anyways. I disagree, but that is what they said. Also a no was a portion of my cable bill so I could see the weather before I went to work. However, they did say a portion of my cell phone and internet access were deductable.[/QU

What portion of the cell phone bill?
Company says I must have one. Can I deduct the phones cost (big bucks for the iphone)?

You wouldn't happen to have a reference for that would you? If so, then I guess keeping all my haircut receipts was a giant waste of my time.

I know guys that deduct everything... crash pad included. I guess their philosophy is that your tax return is your "first offer"
Every year my wife does our taxes, and when it comes to the write offs I jump in and she always storms off telling me to fing do them myself.

driving to and from training. No, you can't deduct miles from your daily commute, but to and from job training: yes.

How about cost of a laptop? You need to check your schedule, right? Does anybody know the dollar amount that doesn't require receipt for apparels? I think it's 50 dollars per item.

If your hourly wage is paltry and you don't fly much, an airline pilot job may count as a second job providing you earn more in another career field. Research second jobs and see if you qualify as there are much more writeoffs. Some people are reservists, painters, flight info consultants, etc..If you have other things on the side, a good tax. accountant will be a good investment. Good luck

You can search www.irs.gov for more information but it may take awhile to find what you are looking for. I recommend getting the book "J.K. Lassers Tax Guide". It comes out every year. The book tries to explain the tax laws in common language. Giving examples of what is allowed and what isn't allowed. Then it gives details about tax cases that went to court with how and why the court decided the way it did. And don't forget, it is deductible on next year's taxes.

As a general rule, anything that is required by your employer as a condition for employment is deductible. But not everything. Some companies require pilots to have a watch, yet the IRS has made it clear that watches are "jewelry" and therefore not deductible.

If not required the IRS will look at: Is it a reasonable and usual expense for the job? Think flight bag or suitcase. Not required but certainly reasonable.

Third: Items that are used in both job related and personal uses will need to be pro rated and only that portion of job related use is allowed to be deducted. Think phone, computer, internet expenses.

Also, remember that just because someone tells you that they have deducted something in the past doesn't make it legal.

I could tell you that I drove 100 mph on the way home last night and didn't get in trouble, so it must be okay, right?

Last edited:
Also remember that items such as headsets, flight kits et al need to be deducted over a period of time. That period is the time in years and months that they were used.

http://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcInOp/asp/HistoricOptions.asp

Exerpt from one hit:

Petitioner claimed a deduction in 2004 for the cost of
maintaining a haircut for his State job. Grooming remains an inherently personal expense and is not deductible, regardless of whether an employer requires a particularly neat appearance.
Hynes v. Commissioner, supra at 1291-1292. Petitioner may not deduct the cost of his haircuts. Respondent’s determination is sustained.

Latest resources

Back