Tax deductions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

4.0atRIDDLE

I am thinking of deducting the following items on my taxes... any thoughts?

1) Crash pad (I seem to recall this isn't deductible)

2) Haircuts (FOM says gotta have a haircut)

3) Razor blades (these puppies are expensive... again, FOM says clean shaven)

Any thoughts? Thanks

Any thoughts? Thanks

The bodaega down my block ran out of watermelon flavored italian ices. Pisses me off since I've got the perfect spoon for them. Guess I'll have to wait until the Spring/Summer time. they did have a few rainbow flavor left over so it wasn't a total loss.

I am thinking of deducting the following items on my taxes... any thoughts?

1) Crash pad (I seem to recall this isn't deductible)

2) Haircuts (FOM says gotta have a haircut)

3) Razor blades (these puppies are expensive... again, FOM says clean shaven)

Any thoughts? Thanks

No, No, and No.

I know some of us would never cut our hair or shave if we didn't have to go to work, but the IRS says you would so they won't let you deduct those. The crashpad issue is complicated and almost always not deductible unless you are TDY'd somewhere and your company doesn't put you up in a hotel.

The IRS also says items don't have to be required to be necessary, and therefore deductable. It is a requirement to be clean shaven, so........

The IRS also says items don't have to be required to be necessary, and therefore deductable. It is a requirement to be clean shaven, so........

I know you can write off professional publications such as magazines which are not required, but the haircut and shaving supplies are a no. I emailed the IRS a couple years ago and they said haircuts and shaving supplies are not deductable as a work related expense because you would do it anyways. I disagree, but that is what they said. Also a no was a portion of my cable bill so I could see the weather before I went to work. However, they did say a portion of my cell phone and internet access were deductable.

Truckdriver is right. A few years ago, the IRS changed the rules and deductions for grooming standards are no longer allowed.

Truckdriver is right. A few years ago, the IRS changed the rules and deductions for grooming standards are no longer allowed.

You wouldn't happen to have a reference for that would you? If so, then I guess keeping all my haircut receipts was a giant waste of my time.

I know guys that deduct everything... crash pad included. I guess their philosophy is that your tax return is your "first offer"

Latest resources

Back