• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tattoo ok?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just think your tattoos would make for a great conversational piece with crewmembers.:beer:
I fly for a major and this is my second airline. I haven't had any problems and I have tattoos on both forearms. I don't even own a long sleeve pilot shirt. My CPs know about it because I showed them and asked if they needed to be covered. They said they were fine with it. Almost all the chick FA's want to talk about my tats. Some are just pissed because they have to keep theirs covered. Most just think it's cool. I've only ever heard good things from the pax about them. One old lady said it made her feel comfortable knowing somebody was flying the plane that was tough enough to handle any terrorists. I guess the stereotype of tats still exists. So far nobody has complained.

OTOH, I wouldn't make a point of bringing them up in the interview. Thank god for the ubiquitous interview suit. They didn't ask and I didn't volunteer that I had them. My guess is they would have been a show stopper. As a matter of fact my whole background is a tad different from most of my peers. I've got tats and I don't have a 4 year degree. I'm retired military but not an officer and not a military pilot. I wasn't even in an aviation MOS. Yet, here I am flying an airliner. For you youngsters out there, don't try this at home. I'm flying despite all the strikes against me. I just got lucky, plain and simple. If you really want to be a pro pilot you have to get your degree, you have to avoid getting arrested and you probably shouldn't get any tattoos. I wouldn't rely on charm, good looks and sartorial splendor to land that major airline gig. Luck is not a plan. I'm just saying.....

Last edited:
Just wondering if a tattoo completely hidden from the public eye (on upper arm) would affect someone trying to get hired on with a major US airline?

Any questions on applications about any tattoos?

Thanks.
SW

If you wear a shirt to your interview, you should be fine.

Another thing I notice here in NYC is that there are many "out of towners," or so it seems. THe ghetto is filledwith cars bearing license plates from PA, VA, and other areas where insurance rates are lower. It's clear they live locally, while enjoying low premiums.

you can thank all the hipsters for that. they move to the ghetto when they get here because they want a "real" nyc life. usually takes them 2-3 times being mugged to smarten up.

Every time I go to the Doc I see all these tattoed and pierced people standing in line for medical care. It makes me crazy that they are filling out forms for Govt subsidized care while they are covered in hundreds of dollars worth of ink....""Go figure"

Humans are not perfect. Masses are even less so. There will always be flaws with such a system and things will slip through the cracks. However, the system itself is necessary to cover those that really need it. You do benefit from society so, it is your civic duty to contribute to said society, however flawed it may be. Pay your taxes and deal with it.

Tats are for losers with self esteem issues! Feel embarrassed for parents I see with tatoos.

What an ignorant statement. The same could be said for some of the pilots I've met. A lot of them are losers with self esteem issues that they feel can be cured with a FAA certificate and the "152 jumpsuit."

I believe the name for that is called a, "tramp stamp."

Oh, my bad, I guess my coolness is being lost. I don't dig this look too much. But there is nothing hotter than a Mexican chick with her last name splattered in size 99 font from shoulderblade to shoulder blade.

Oh, my bad, I guess my coolness is being lost. I don't dig this look too much. But there is nothing hotter than a Mexican chick with her last name splattered in size 99 font from shoulderblade to shoulder blade.

Nevermind the name. The objective remains the same. Just don't miss the target on departure. :smash:

Latest resources

Back