• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Target acquisition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One of the absolute best SNL skits ever! circa 1990-1991 During Desert Shield.

In the best arabic accent:

"WHERE ARE YOUR TROOPS? AND CAN YOU TAKE ME TO THEM SO THAT I MAY COUNT THEM?"

Joshrk22 said:
I'm no F-16 pilot, but I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

The F-16C uses the AN/AAQ-14 Targeting Pod, which has a forward-looking infrared sensor, laser designator, missile boresight correlator, and has the ability for automatic target tracking. This basically gives the pilot the ability to pull up an image of the ground targets on his/her MFD. Without the Targeting Pod, the pilot will only see "little boxes" if you will by using the GM and GMT modes; not allowing for precision.

The laser lases, and the GBUs drop where the TGP's crosshairs point; they do not have to be locked.

So the pilot will first set Master Arm and Laser Arm to 'ARM'. Select A-G mode, as the master mode. For the MFDs, bring up the FCR and SMS page. On the SMS page, cycle it to the GBU. Switch the MFD to TGP page to bring up the FLIR video for the Targeting Pod. On the FCR page set it to GM or GMT(Ground Map or Ground Moving Targets). There are buttons on the pilot's "stick" that allow them the ability to slew to a target on the TGP page. Designate a target and zoom in.

You can also manually lase a target.

The F-16 uses INS, Inertial Navigation System; the flightplan is preloaded into the aircraft before the flight and the then pilot flies to each waypoint. During the startup the pilot has to wait for the INS to align.

Well I'm sure a few F-16 guys could better elaborate on this as I'm going out on a limb.

LOL YGTBSM

Joshrk22 said:
Hey I did a little research and I tried...

You get an A for effort, D for content. Holiday Inn Express was booked full, slept at a Motel 6 instead.

weekendwarrior said:
Yeah...I should have elaborated...was talking about an AH-64 accomplishing the mission.
<------ See avatar!

I'm with ya brother. Not knocking other platforms. Each have their own pros and cons.

Throw weight

Pilots aren't the only ones who knock other guys' platforms. I once overheard student missile launch officers at the Vandenburg Officers' Club:

"You have to admit, the Minuteman is far more accurate."

"The Titan don't HAVE to be accurate!"

Latest resources

Back