Target acquisition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
9Gclub,

Since I can't answer your question (or anyone is willing to give you the big picture of how it's done) I bet you could do some research via any bookstore or possible via google.

Heck, some pc game software probably has detailed user manuals on how to zip around and driop bombs from your F-16 simulator - thanks Microsoft.

Slice121 said:
We're recapping an F-16 attack here, no? In which case 300 kts at release is FUBAR. Hell, we come up initial at least at that speed.

Yeah...I should have elaborated...was talking about an AH-64 accomplishing the mission.
<------ See avatar!

Rez O. Lewshun said:
I thought this thread was about picking up chicks (targets) at the O'Club. Always wear your bag!

Uh...it could be, care to hijack? Don't know what kind of O'club you go to, but picking up chicks at Army O'clubs? Uh...no.

9GClub said:
Question for the fighter/attack guys: How do y'all initially acquire targets on the ground? I'm asking in light of the recent Zarqawi sting. Is it a GPS fix or what? It seems like a technological nightmare to be zipping around at 300 knots in the dark trying to put a GBU-12 on a house surrounded by trees and/or other houses. How do you 'lock' the crosshairs on a target, and (in the case of laser-guided munitions) what determines whether you paint the target from the aircraft or from the ground?

Much of this information may be inapropriate for public discussion, but if you're at liberty to discuss it, I'm curious about how a recon team accurately relays precise targeting information to an aircrew.
I'm no F-16 pilot, but I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

The F-16C uses the AN/AAQ-14 Targeting Pod, which has a forward-looking infrared sensor, laser designator, missile boresight correlator, and has the ability for automatic target tracking. This basically gives the pilot the ability to pull up an image of the ground targets on his/her MFD. Without the Targeting Pod, the pilot will only see "little boxes" if you will by using the GM and GMT modes; not allowing for precision.

The laser lases, and the GBUs drop where the TGP's crosshairs point; they do not have to be locked.

So the pilot will first set Master Arm and Laser Arm to 'ARM'. Select A-G mode, as the master mode. For the MFDs, bring up the FCR and SMS page. On the SMS page, cycle it to the GBU. Switch the MFD to TGP page to bring up the FLIR video for the Targeting Pod. On the FCR page set it to GM or GMT(Ground Map or Ground Moving Targets). There are buttons on the pilot's "stick" that allow them the ability to slew to a target on the TGP page. Designate a target and zoom in.

You can also manually lase a target.

The F-16 uses INS, Inertial Navigation System; the flightplan is preloaded into the aircraft before the flight and the then pilot flies to each waypoint. During the startup the pilot has to wait for the INS to align.

Well I'm sure a few F-16 guys could better elaborate on this as I'm going out on a limb.

Joshrk22 said:
I'm no F-16 pilot, but I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

The F-16C uses the AN/AAQ-14 Targeting Pod, which has a forward-looking infrared sensor, laser designator, missile boresight correlator, and has the ability for automatic target tracking. This basically gives the pilot the ability to pull up an image of the ground targets on his/her MFD. Without the Targeting Pod, the pilot will only see "little boxes" if you will by using the GM and GMT modes; not allowing for precision.

The laser lases, and the GBUs drop where the TGP's crosshairs point; they do not have to be locked.

So the pilot will first set Master Arm and Laser Arm to 'ARM'. Select A-G mode, as the master mode. For the MFDs, bring up the FCR and SMS page. On the SMS page, cycle it to the GBU. Switch the MFD to TGP page to bring up the FLIR video for the Targeting Pod. On the FCR page set it to GM or GMT(Ground Map or Ground Moving Targets). There are buttons on the pilot's "stick" that allow them the ability to slew to a target on the TGP page. Designate a target and zoom in.

You can also manually lase a target.

The F-16 uses INS, Inertial Navigation System; the flightplan is preloaded into the aircraft before the flight and the then pilot flies to each waypoint. During the startup the pilot has to wait for the INS to align.

Well I'm sure a few F-16 guys could better elaborate on this as I'm going out on a limb.

What the.....

Kudos for doing the research...you learned something (well I think you did, sure sounds like it, but I aint no F-16 pilot, and I didn't stay at a holiday inn last night)

On the other hand....major flame bait if you ask me..but I'm not gonna bite on it..

Latest resources

Back