Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

enigma

good ol boy
This is probably old news that I missed the first time around. Not to start any flame wars, but I heard on the radio yesterday that the fifteen year old that flew his Cessna into the building in TPA was actually half arab. This was broadcast on a national talk radio program, it was not a show that I hear infrequently and I'm not sure of the hosts name although I think it was Michael Medved, or it may have been Mike Gallagher. I'm not sure.
The host stated that Bishop was born with the surname, Basuropp (sounded that way, I didn't hear him spell it). His mother changed their name during the Gulf War because she was afraid of an anti-Arab backlash. the mother is apparently caucasian/American and the father was Arabic. The father left the family when the boy was young.

Has anyone else heard this, or anything like it?

Also, today on the Rush Limbaugh show , the guest host shot down the story that says that Ollie North fingered Osama Bin Laudin in 1987. Apparently, North himself has repeatedly stated that there is no truth to the rumor. Oh well, it sounded good:D

regards

I heard the exact same thing. CNN doesn't always give the public the whole story.

Does it Matter?

Yes it does

BE1900DATP said:
Does it Matter?
Yes it matters. This business is my, and most other posters', livelyhood. If the story that I heard is true, it means that we are being lied to by our media/government in an attempt to pacify the masses. If the story is true, it means that aviation is taking a hit that rightfully belongs elsewhere. Being sensitive to the good Arabs amoung us sounds good, and is nice and politically correct; but if our government is ignoring real threats because of political correctness, we are being left vulnerable. And our profession is being left vulnerable because it now seems that even student pilots are suspects.
I don't appreciate the fact that aviation is taking a hit that rightly belongs to a radical movement and its followers. If we place blame where blame belongs, terrorists, then the innocent, the aviation community, is not punished.

It matters because the You and I are both at risk, and the government is allowing us to stay in that condition because they don't want to take the hard actions necessary to protect US citizens from a militant group of males, men who fit a well known profile.

8N

enigma,

Like you, I don't want to start a flame war on this professional forum. However, I respectfuly disagree with you. Because of attitudes like yours (if I've read your post correctly) we did the same thing during WW II with the Japanese. I'm an Arab-American and fit the profile you're describing. I've also served in the U. S. Air Force for over 20 years and fought for my country in three wars. Operation ENDURING FREEDOM will be my fourth and I hold no sympathy for these criminals. If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize up front.

Last edited:
Major Amin-
I think I understand your position. As a man with a military education, I understand that this conflict will require sacrifices to be made by all of us. Your sacrifice may be different than mine, since you may fit a profile of those who attacked us. During WWII, many Japanese citizens were required to make a great sacrifice during internment due to the actions of the Emperor. The vast majority of these people were loyal Americans. It is reasonable to believe, however, that some would have conspired to harm us during that time, and were prevented from doing so because they could not roam freely. The loyal majority of Japanese in the camps knew this.

It would be impossible in our modern society to ask that sacrifice of any group now, but it is not unreasonable to ask loyal Americans such as yourself to step up to the plate in this new terrorist environment. This may mean an additional search (or three) or being asked to remove a muslim head covering for a more complete search. In the case of the woman who is suing over being searched, I think her anger is misdirected. Instead of being resentful over her treatment, she should be resentful that other muslims have, by their attack, caused her to be regarded as suspicious. You also should be resentful. Now, your country will ask more of you in her defense, and I know you will honor your oath to help provide that defense.

Here is what I am not hearing in the media: voices of thousands of muslims condemning the terrorist movement. I see only leaders of various groups complaining of discrimination. Where is the complaint, which should be shouted from rooftops, that the Quoran does not support this activity? Where are the clerics that should be all over the media, countering the Taliban beliefs?

Osama didn't care about either one of us when he hatched his plan. Pass the word. And speak up.

SentryIP said:
enigma,

Like you, I don't want to start a flame war on this professional forum. However, I respectfuly disagree with you. Because of attitudes like yours (if I've read your post correctly) we did the same thing during WW II with the Japanese. I'm an Arab-American and fit the profile you're describing. I've also served in the U. S. Air Force for over 20 years and fought for my country in three wars. Operation ENDURING FREEDOM will be my fourth and I hold no sympathy for these criminals. If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize up front.

Sincerely,
Amin Aur
Major, USAF

You have only partially misinterpreted my post. I am not attacking people of Arab descent, but I am attacking the government and media who ignore the obvious in the name of political correctness.

It disgusts me that a honorable segment of society, (aviation) is tar'd and feathered in the press, and shackled by the government when that segment is not the threat. We , as a society, continue to attempt to regulate tools instead of people. We outlaw guns instead of bad guys that shot people. We demonize cigarettes instead of the people who CHOOSE to smoke, etc. Now it looks like we will see airplanes and aviation regulated more tightly just because society doesn't have the guts to face reality.

Also remember that we are not talking about a random search of people who were doing nothing obviously illegal. We are discussing a young man who flew his airplane into a building in an attempt to cause harm. He did the crime, I want to know why we are blaming the aircraft/aviation instead of acknowledging his background and possible motivations.

regards

Latest resources

Back