Taking Down a Bad Fed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
For starters, I'd sneak over by his house one night, pull out and rip up the "Kerry/Edwards" campaign signs in his front yard. That should get his goat.
lol...classic ;)

Just had to pass along this quote from him:
"Just read the regulations. They're quite clear!"

If they're so clear, then why does the NTSB regularly send the FAA back to change their opinion on what the reg means?!!!?

Round 10.... You'd think this inspector would have something else to do.

Grrr...

Nope, it wasn't at DFW or Crystal Springs. It was out West. Our hero thought that he'd show the guy how "real pilots" to do autorotations, but he neglected to put on the carb heat. Imagine the surprise when he went to roll in the power and it wasn't there. They hit very hard and the blades took out the tail boom, the thing rolled over on its side and beat itself to death. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured. The FAA ended up geting sued and lost. (Yes, examiners can be PICs on checkrides and they can be held liable when they screw up.) This was also the same guy that made one of our pilots shut an engine down in a Cheyenne II because "it had a cold start". I never did figure that one out. Oh well, like I said, what goes around comes around. The world of aviation is very small. Once the FAA canned him he struggled finding a job. I think that he's working at a flight school somewhere.

Lead Sled

Maria said:
If they're so clear, then why does the NTSB regularly send the FAA back to change their opinion on what the reg means?!!!?
If the regulations are so clear how about asking 10 different inspectors for an intrepretation of any given reg. You're bound to get at least 10 different answers - none of which you could rely on. If you want to have even more fun, try getting them to sign a statement saying that the sun usually rises in the east and normally sets in the west. :p

All I can say is that I'm sure glad that most of the ones I've known have been very fair and reasonable, actually good guys. My advise - turn on the light and make the passengers take their seats; have everyone make sure their belts are securely fastened; and hang on. It's going to be a bumpy ride for a while. Like I said, there are few things harder to git rid of than a unionized civil servant. It would probably be easier to treat a "social disease". Sorry.

Lead Sled

Lead Sled said:
Nope, it wasn't at DFW or Crystal Springs. It was out West. Our hero thought that he'd show the guy how "real pilots" to do autorotations, but he neglected to put on the carb heat. Imagine the surprise when he went to roll in the power and it wasn't there. They hit very hard and the blades took out the tail boom, the thing rolled over on its side and beat itself to death. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured. The FAA ended up geting sued and lost. (Yes, examiners can be PICs on checkrides and they can be held liable when they screw up.) This was also the same guy that made one of our pilots shut an engine down in a Cheyenne II because "it had a cold start". I never did figure that one out. Oh well, like I said, what goes around comes around. The world of aviation is very small. Once the FAA canned him he struggled finding a job. I think that he's working at a flight school somewhere.

Lead Sled
Any chance his initials are R.T.?

Get really familiar with the 8700 and 8400 manual.

Know what he is allowed to do and you can stop him cold.

Just like the IRS, guys like this use your lack of familiarity with his operating guidelines to abuse you.

Find out who else has had bad dealings with him.

Contact your Senator.

Go to the regional and national offices.

Present carefully documented letters listing abuses.

After you have a ot of evidence, point out your issues to him and his supervisor, and have him barred from your operation.

You can then claim 'retaliation' if he tries something.

As told to me by a current Fed, while you are a government employee:

During the first year, they can fire you for looking at them wrong
During the second year, it takes an act of Congress
During the third year, it takes an act of God

Always make it a point to be on good terms with the FSDO's chief. Years ago I had a six month check with a jerk. It was a hot and humid summer afternoon and before departure, he and I got into a pi$$ing contest. I very simply told him that as the aircraft commander I wanted him out of the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** airplane. Talk about dumbfounded. He had over a mile walk back to the terminal........Anyhows, I call the chief and told him what I did. He rolled laughing.......No more problems with the jerk.

Latest resources

Back