• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Maria

That's Miz Beetch to you
Hi Y'all!

There's a large foul odor eminating from a FSDO. Is there a way to remove the source of the smell?

Facts, regulations, national policy, and other written correspondance from FAA Legal has no effect on the guy. He uses the fear interrogation method for investigations getting most pilots to incriminate themselves. He has most of his cases end up with Remedial Training or violations. He just took on one of our pilots, lost, tried again, lost, and is now in round eight. The pilot has retained a lawyer to force the LOI and 709, before the guy finds a real violation.

The problem is not he's a flaming jerk, that's our POI. This guy is a flaming jerk that doesn't know what he's doing. I'd blame whatever he's been smoking or drinking, but that's being too nice.

So... what does it take to remove an ASI from their position? I know simple incompetence is not enough, and no, he's not in the military and subject to fragging.

Can he be '709'd as a certificate holder for his lack of knowledge about the regs?

We'll be watching his every move anyways, trying to stay out of his path, but when do we pull the handle, how, and for what?

Thanks,
Maria

I feel your pain. Several years ago, we had that very same scenario with one of our local federales at the FSDO in the city where I worked. The guy was a flaming jerk - by personal proclaimation, the world's greatest living pilot.

The problem was that there was really nothing we could really do about it and we just had to ride it out. However, what goes around comes around. Eventually, the sum total of his screw ups started to attract attention at OKC. Finally, he screwed up a helicopter checkride he was giving (there was an examiner induced accident and the helicopter was totaled). Even that wasn't quite enough to send him packing. It finally took some bad reports from the NASIP team on a couple of operators where he was POI. The guy was finally canned.

There ain't no easy way to get rid of a civil servant.
Lead Sled

The problem is systemic in all bureaucracies, we have a couple of Transport Canada Inspectors up here in Canada that are lower than any street criminal in the integrity department.

They have been found guilty of lying, denying due process and missuse of the power of their office.

Results?

I have a letter from our top TC person, the Director General Civil Aviation that states that this conduct is "quite satisfactory and has his full backing".

So evidently when these rouge inspectors are protected up to the top level of Government there is not much that can be done ( legally ) to fix the problem.

Depressing isn't it?

Having been there as a former FED, there are some ways to draw attention to this guy to cause him to be either reassigned, transferred to a non operator position, or fired. PM me with the details and the FSDO so I can give you better direction.

Dfw?

Finally, he screwed up a helicopter checkride he was giving (there was an examiner induced accident and the helicopter was totaled).

Was this guy from the Ft Worth FSDO? If so, I know him personally. A class act. For some reason, many (NOT ALL) of these guys are wannabe's that were rejected and couldn't get jobs anywhere else. The several friends that I have in the FAA are truely professional guys, but many are ...well you get the picture.

Maria said:
Hi Y'all!

There's a large foul odor eminating from a FSDO. Is there a way to remove the source of the smell?

Facts, regulations, national policy, and other written correspondance from FAA Legal has no effect on the guy....

....We'll be watching his every move anyways, trying to stay out of his path, but when do we pull the handle, how, and for what?

Thanks,
Maria
For starters, I'd sneak over by his house one night, pull out and rip up the "Kerry/Edwards" campaign signs in his front yard. That should get his goat.

Lead Sled said:
I feel your pain. Several years ago, we had that very same scenario with one of our local federales at the FSDO in the city where I worked. The guy was a flaming jerk - by personal proclaimation, the world's greatest living pilot.

The problem was that there was really nothing we could really do about it and we just had to ride it out. However, what goes around comes around. Eventually, the sum total of his screw ups started to attract attention at OKC. Finally, he screwed up a helicopter checkride he was giving (there was an examiner induced accident and the helicopter was totaled). Even that wasn't quite enough to send him packing. It finally took some bad reports from the NASIP team on a couple of operators where he was POI. The guy was finally canned.

There ain't no easy way to get rid of a civil servant.
Lead Sled

This checkride accident wasn't in Clearwater, was it? Scenario sounds very familiar.

Set up your own little sting operation. Use those tiny cameras and microphones, catch his ass in the act and be a covert operator for the day.

Latest resources

Back