• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Takeoff Mins/Pinnacle Ops Specs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can't hold back, after ten pages I feel the need to add something as well.

At my copmany (think banana and mexican food to guess where I work), we actually went through exactly what you guys are talking about: Can I take off based on my OpSpecs or my 10-9 page?

And EVERYONE had an opinion about it until the FAA finally made its way into the discussion and their response was very simple: If the numbers published by the airport through Jepp, LIDO, NACO are higher than what your lower than standard opspec authorize, you MUST abide by the published numbers.

If you are in BFE and the airport published 1600RVR, you CAN NOT take off at 1000RVR even if your OpSpecs tell you that the lowest you can go is 6/6/6 (btw, if you have 6/6/6, you can probably go at 6/6, so that technically would be the lowest possible); ASSuming, of course, that you actually looked at NOTAMs.

BUT do not EVER use the published Alternate Minimums unless your company paid a premium to have your company specific ones printed.

This was fun. Kind of reminds me of the whole discussion about ice and flying.

Question of the week for all you 121 guys: Can I fly through a SEVERE ICING SIGMET?

Get some coffee and discuss amongst yourselves.

"never fo(o)llow, always question"

Well, it isn't "just is" ..."it" comes from a form 8260. which the FAA prepares and from which ALL chart manufacturers obtain the information.

I, as is Avbug, am shocked at some of the interpretations I've read here. Just do a loaded take-off in a larger airplane and you would see why the roll-out RVR is important on take-off. Have an engine fail after V1 and you will have explored both ends of almost every runway if you are heavy.

Ding ding.

My biggest WTF over this thread was "where's the fire?" It took Avbug (you too, Don) to 'splain what we're chatting about.

FAA finally made its way into the discussion and their response was very simple: If the numbers published by the airport through Jepp, LIDO, NACO are higher than what your lower than standard opspec authorize, you MUST abide by the published numbers.

Cliff notes for this entire thread right here ^. This is the final answer.

Wow this is scary...

You can't go below published minimums. Period. Ever.

Op specs are the lowest possible. My ops specs says I can go as low as half a mile on a non precision approach too.. but I can't do that if the approach doesn't allow it.

C056 says you can can use any applicable lower than standard IF there are no published minimums.

Whoever thought they could land with 1800 even if it isn't published is dead wrong as well.

Quite simply you can't go below published minimums ever. With a HUD you can have op specs down to 300 RVR for takeoff.. but you can only do it on runways that are approved for that.

Its always the highest of op specs or published.

cale

Last edited:
I can't hold back, after ten pages I feel the need to add something as well.

At my copmany (think banana and mexican food to guess where I work), we actually went through exactly what you guys are talking about: Can I take off based on my OpSpecs or my 10-9 page?

And EVERYONE had an opinion about it until the FAA finally made its way into the discussion and their response was very simple: If the numbers published by the airport through Jepp, LIDO, NACO are higher than what your lower than standard opspec authorize, you MUST abide by the published numbers.

If you are in BFE and the airport published 1600RVR, you CAN NOT take off at 1000RVR even if your OpSpecs tell you that the lowest you can go is 6/6/6 (btw, if you have 6/6/6, you can probably go at 6/6, so that technically would be the lowest possible); ASSuming, of course, that you actually looked at NOTAMs.

BUT do not EVER use the published Alternate Minimums unless your company paid a premium to have your company specific ones printed.

This was fun. Kind of reminds me of the whole discussion about ice and flying.

Question of the week for all you 121 guys: Can I fly through a SEVERE ICING SIGMET?

Get some coffee and discuss amongst yourselves.

"never fo(o)llow, always question"

Unbelievable. The guys supporting the Pinnacle guys still don't get it. Mesaba is authorized per ops specs to depart with 600RVR. It doesn't mean we can do it anywhere.
I'll say it again. 121 carriers CANNOT takeoff SBN below 1600RVR. Why? The airport/runways do not have the equipement to support a 1000rvr takeoff.
PERIOD! We can talk about ops specs all day long but this thread is using them out of context.
Those of you that think Pinnacle can use their ops spec minimums for takeoff at any airport they want are dangerously misguided. This will bite many of you someday.

Please someone explain to me how Pinnacle is legal to depart any airport they want at 600RVR or 1000 rvr. I would like to hear this.

Now that we are at an understanding (hopefully) of Op Specs vs. Jepps, I am going to throw a wrench in the works. I think this fits well along the same subject lines.

Lets say your Op Specs allow you to go down to 500. We are departing out of LGA Runway 31. The Jepps say that you can go down to 500 (assume all lighting is working). Looking at the notams, you see this...

!FDC 6/7120 LGA FI/T LA GUARDIA, NEW YORK, NY. TAKE-OFF MINIMUMS AND (OBSTACLE) DEPARTURE PROCEDURES... TAKE-OFF MINIMUMS: RWY 31, 300-1 1/2 OR STANDARD WITH A MINIMUM CLIMB OF 260 FEET PER NM TO 400. REST OF DATA REMAINS AS PUBLISHED.

What is the lowest visibility you can have to depart runway 31? (assume you can climb at least 260ft/nm)

That doesnt specify lighting systems required. I would say you can still go down to the 10-9 mins for what lighting systems are working or ops specs, whichever are higher.

I'll need to do some digging into my Airway Manual though to make sure....

Latest resources

Back