Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Piston Poop

Opinion quesion....

I took my ATP written with ATP and I did ZERO prep (lots of excuses). I am embarassed to admit that I got an 88%. :0

I failed miserably in the calculations section (and I forgot to take my E6B) and made the faulty assumption that it is a big test so how many of those questions could there really be...DUH. Turned out to be about eight of them!

I am getting typed soon and I am starting to sweat my grade. Will this hurt me in the oral? Since I KNOW for 100% certain that I could do better if I took it again (not with ATP, just go to my local testing facility) now that I have had a chance to study more and have more practical knowledge, would it look worse to say I took it twice because I was unhappy with my score? Or should I just suck it up and accept my average score?

Thanks!

The test is pass/fail, not graded on a curve.

Q: Did you pass your written?

A: Yes.

Carry on. No one cares, and no one will care in the future either. How many employers have you had who asked what your written score was? I've had none.

70% required to pass, you got 18% too much. Don't sweat it. The guy giving the oral wouldn't get any higher without lots of studying.

I agree with the rest....I have never heard of anyone caring what you got on that test. Study for the type and forget about that FAA mandated hurdle.

The only folks whom I have ever heard of caring about your ATP test score is Cathay. I seem to remember it on the application...

Everyone else is pass/fail. Don't waste your precious Benjamins.

In theory the examiner will ask you questions on the oral about the areas you missed on the written. However, I've yet to see an examiner actually look up any of those little codes that say what you missed, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're doing the ATP on a type ride especially, don't worry about that. They don't have time or desire to do anything other than their standard oral and ride.

The only folks whom I have ever heard of caring about your ATP test score is Cathay. I seem to remember it on the application...

True...

According to someone working there, the only reason they ask is because the Hong Kong Aviation Authority will eventually need verification that you PASSED for transfer of certificates. Not really a hiring issue.

Latest resources

Back