• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

What do you think of the TSA

• Completely worthless

Votes: 93 41.2%
  • Slightly the right idea, just poorly executed/managed.

Votes: 106 46.9%
  • Good, but with a few minor issues

Votes: 26 11.5%
  • Right on

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Hey,
It's really quite simple, you must waste twice as much of their time as yours. You ask, hmmm how can I do that? It's simple, demand a private screening, they cannot screen you privately unless there are two of them present. Take your time putting your shoes on, don't let them leave until you are ready to go yourself. Until the "machine"(tsa) realizes that the time wasted on flight crews is truly lost and is fruitless nothing will change.
Resistance with a smile, and the knowledge that if they are gonna waste your time you can waste twice as much as theirs, make it a little less painfull.
OLA
PBR

AWFUL!

They're simply an illusion of security, just what the flying public wanted...

no sooner will all the luggage be checked for bombs, then the terrorist will shoot our planes down from outside the airport fence.
i say, put your resources into finding osama...

They're simply an illusion of security, just what the flying public wanted...
Well said, Thunderchief.

I'm also ticked that they make more than a lot of us.

Like someone previously said, Burger King must be hurting after losing so many of their qualified workers.

Unfortunately I disagree with FlyChicaga almost completely. They seem to be getting worse as time goes on. And I actually get why. Come on, a government run entity! That just means that as time passes they are going to come up with even more and more beaurocracy. When I start a day of flying I am having to go through security screening at more outstations now than I did at first. Apparently, if I disrobe at the metal detector (including my shoes - so are Doc Martens really better, can I get through with those) I won't be able to use the crash ax behind my seat to kill my FO and then take out the airplane. What a great comedy of errors they have created of themselves. Oh, and if I were to want to carry a gun and went through every hoop along the way, would I be exemt from the metal detector, or would I start a whole new line of hassles. Yeah, I could carry the gun, just not through security.

I love the fact this jokers make more than a lot of us. I was sitting a MDW the other day near some TSA people, and just got pissed off in a big way. Some highschool dropout loser speaking her best getto english she could was bitching that she was only going to make 40,000 this year. 40K! I've been flying for 10 years, and flying 121 for 3 and have never made more then 30K.

goobers

vinman, yeah i have some doc martens, no metal shanks, they use balsawood, no beeping (as long as you don't have other large quantities of metal) just make sure to get them directly from doc marten, i bought mine from their online store, got 2day shipping, and it was still cheaper than any of the local stores prices.

DocMartens Online Store

just make sure to stay away from the 'industrial' line, they're chuck full of steel

i'll say this, tsa employees are definately worse in larger/"urban" areas....

Dash8, many thanks for the info.

Incidentally, I have found the smaller airports to be the worst. Apparently they have "more" to prove. One city I fly into is only served by one carrier, and on some flights in, we sit for an hour before flying back out. Of course we shut down and head inside. If we go past the ticket counter into the terminal, we have to go back through security to gain access to the airplane again. In other words, if we go to the bathroom, we have to be strip-searched again because on the flight in, I must not have known about that crash ax. Thanks for listening to this rant. I'm sure we all have our stories.

If anyone reads Airways magazine, the Flightlines column in the May issue is interesting. Mr Drury describes some of his dealings with TSA pinheads...there might be some writers embellishment of course, but overall it sounds a lot like what we read on this bulletin board. I guess I've been lucky so far and haven't had any serious run-ins with the TSA. I just suck it up and try to play along, within reason of course. I've met some really nice TSA agents...there's even a female agent here that I'd swear flirts with me...but for every cool agent, there are several more out there on a power trip, just waiting to hassle crew members.

Today I get to wear my new Doc Martens for the first time, and I'm really looking forward to keeping my shoes on while going though screening. Oh, happy happy day!

vivification

My bad,
what i meant to say was that the people working in the urban places we're more unruly and unpleasant as a general rule, but your correct, many of the security personal in smaller/rural locals are more fervent about their "responsibilities" as far as security personel.
But also in my experience, airports only served by aircraft of less than so many seats (i believe 50 but don't quote me on that) flight crews are not required to pass through security. suffice it to say that the localities often make up their own rules in those regards, one rural airport for instance that i go to on occasion allows crews showing up to FLY a leg to by-pass security, but a person FLYING the leg in to this station, then deadheading out on the very same aircraft, has to deplane, then proceed through security to board the plane again, despite already being in a secure area, talk about blatent hypocrisy.
JB, enjoy life without having to take your shoes off for people who are both too old and too young to work at mcdonalds.

Vinman said:
Dash8, many thanks for the info.

Incidentally, I have found the smaller airports to be the worst. Apparently they have "more" to prove. One city I fly into is only served by one carrier, and on some flights in, we sit for an hour before flying back out. Of course we shut down and head inside. If we go past the ticket counter into the terminal, we have to go back through security to gain access to the airplane again. In other words, if we go to the bathroom, we have to be strip-searched again because on the flight in, I must not have known about that crash ax. Thanks for listening to this rant. I'm sure we all have our stories.

Latest resources

Back