• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

T/O briefing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If it's not in the required briefing at your company, I say it's superfluous.

It's only preperation for one eventuality. What about a fire, inadvertant T/R deployment on takeoff, or Jammed Stab, or Runaway Trim, etc...

You should just know your memory items....and be prepared for all eventualities. If you think you're a little foggy, crack the book before a flight. I've done it.

WOW, YOU'RE SUCH A STUD!!! CAN I HAVE A DATE WITH YOU?

Yo, check dis.

If sh1t go down befoe we be fas, we gonna be jammin' the skids, aiiiight?

If sh1t go down afta we be fas, we aint gonna do nutin till 'celeration height.

Afta dat, I be flyin' and you be jivin'. We gonna floss and fly dis mofo back around for da westsiiiiiiiide. You down?

Where's Barbara Billingsley when you need her?

"Excuse me, miss - I speak jive."

A guy's only gonna listen for about 30 seconds, no matter what you're talking about.

Route, Altitude, Transition, Terrain and Engine-out SID. And maybe a little about the taxi route. Everything else is stuff you already know.

It's the same standard company brief every time. What I find most useful, however, is when they brief the runway we'll come back to AND set the ILS frequency into the nav. Talk about being clairvoyant and really getting ahead of the emergency.

;)

"We're cocked, locked, and ready to rock...shove 'em up, Captain."

604, 804. Questions?

Those who know already know. Those who don't can't be fixed with a briefing.

Less is definitely more. For a takeoff or appraoch at the home drome it is a waste of time unless the weather is down. I once briefed the wrong arrival in its entirety and I was the only one who caught it (3 pilots) - about ten minutes later.

No one is listening unless the weather sucks, you're doing cat II or III, circling, mountainous terrain, etc. Briefing the he!! out of the average vectors to ILS/VFR final or a normal flap/no terrain takeoff just trains us all to tune out.

PIPE

I was in the back on the 727, headed into somewhere high during the daytime. I think the field elevation was around 5000'.

The F/O was flying, new to the seat, humping on in at about 12000' (which was only 7000' above the airport). He was doing about 350 knots across the ground.

Now, it was clear and a million, and the airport was using visuals to a runway that only had a VOR approach. It wasn't even a straight-in VOR approach, it had like a 30 degree turn to final at the MDA. This joker starts his brief with, "This is a visual, backed up with the VOR, page 16-1, 12 november 2###, field elevation is..., blah blah blah if we have to miss it's a left turn to the ### radial...."

All this time we're getting closer, and by the time he's done we're 10 miles from the field, 7000' above the field and at 350.

He looked back at me and said, "approach check."

I said, "Sure, if you'll slow down first...."

In Huck's humble opinion, we would have been much safer if he had closed his jepp book (or flipped to the ground chart) and said, "Visual approach, boys, back me up on this, approach check...."

I was in the back on the 727, headed into somewhere high during the daytime. I think the field elevation was around 5000'.

The F/O was flying, new to the seat, humping on in at about 12000' (which was only 7000' above the airport). He was doing about 350 knots across the ground.

Now, it was clear and a million, and the airport was using visuals to a runway that only had a VOR approach. It wasn't even a straight-in VOR approach, it had like a 30 degree turn to final at the MDA. This joker starts his brief with, "This is a visual, backed up with the VOR, page 16-1, 12 november 2###, field elevation is..., blah blah blah if we have to miss it's a left turn to the ### radial...."

All this time we're getting closer, and by the time he's done we're 10 miles from the field, 7000' above the field and at 350.

He looked back at me and said, "approach check."

I said, "Sure, if you'll slow down first...."

In Huck's humble opinion, we would have been much safer if he had closed his jepp book (or flipped to the ground chart) and said, "Visual approach, boys, back me up on this, approach check...."

That's our culture - by the book all the way to the scene of the crash.

PIPE

A retired airline pilot commented on how the guys with the elaborate briefings were the ones who frooze up when the sh!t hit the fan....

Latest resources

Back