Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hindsight2020

Yeah Buddy
I didn't want to hijack the Foregin Air Force thread, it seems to be headed for greatness already, but the few responses made me think of a question I was pondering about the other day.

For these Reserve -38 IP positions, do they always go to fighter frame folks or do B-1/B-2/B-52 pilots have a shot at these positions? From what I've read in the FTG website, it's all about currency (and timing and luck etc etc) so it seems as though it would be impossible to qualify on the bomber side of the house. Or if it's possible, how do you maintain currency for that position if you fly a B-X(x)?

Just wondering.

Each reserve T-38 flight can hire five bomber dudes, but it doesn't mean they have to. Waivers for overage have been done but that goes way over our paygrade.

All the bomber guys we have flying T-38s (I'm one of 'em) in our squadron were current T-38 IPs when hired. Most transitioned over to their respective reserve squadron at the base where they flew '38s active duty. We have a couple of B-2 dudes who were current in the '38 when hired.

Another dumb question, as my only experience with currency comes from the civilian side. How did they maintain that currency? Does that imply that they did a stint as an active duty -38 IP after their bomber tour and then jumped to the Reserve side, or is it because they receive refresher training while flying bombers? (assuming I got the right idea about operational tours in the active)

I saw you flew B-52's in your profile, so I guess I'm asking the right guy then.
Thanks

hindsight2020 said:
Another dumb question, as my only experience with currency comes from the civilian side. How did they maintain that currency? Does that imply that they did a stint as an active duty -38 IP after their bomber tour and then jumped to the Reserve side, or is it because they receive refresher training while flying bombers? (assuming I got the right idea about operational tours in the active)

The only way now is if you are a current '38 IP ..unless you're a B-2 pilot since they fly '38s on the side. There is no ACE program anymore; if that's what you meant by refresher training.

oh, I see, so basically B-2 pilots can realistically do the jump now, otherwise you must currently be a -38 IP (not sure if -38 FAIP's could transfer to the Reserve, like I said my intel on active tours is hazy).

The reason I asked is because the position struck me as interesting. I know many people (and FAIP's alike) say they hate the locations where the job is located and such, particularly if they commute, but I think it would be a decent job to have, and I was wondering the different routes one could end up attaining such a position long-term.

At Laughlin AFB when I was a reservist, we had a couple of non-USAF dudes who are now flying T-38 reserves. Both of them were fighter guys in their former active duty careers. I know guys who are reserve T-38 IPs at Sheppard AFB who had actually separated completely from the USAF and then came back to be a reservist later on. They had former AETC T-38 IP experience though. Honestly, timing and who you know is everything. Obviously, former experience in the T-38 helps the resume (ie we haven't hired anybody who has either never flown a fighter or never flown a T-38).

FastCargo

What I meant by FAIPs being hired was if they were FAIPd before their bomber tour. Like FastCargo was saying...T-38 IP experience is a plus and a must if you're a bomber guy looking at being a T-38 reservist.

It is a good deal. The currencies aren't that demanding but we expect more days per month than the average reserve unit. A lot of the fighter guys prefer this over flying fighters in the reserves because it's not as demanding when it comes to keeping currencies. The commute is probably the biggest pain for most...unless you're at Randolph :p . But that's another thread in itself.

Last edited:
For those of you "in the know": do your T-38 units have any pilots that retired, and came back as part time reservists flying in the T-38?

I know this may sound like I'm smoking crack by asking this question, but please just humor me.

Is it that much harder to get Randolph? And is there full time reservist or can you fly as much as you want?

psysicx said:
Is it that much harder to get Randolph? And is there full time reservist or can you fly as much as you want?

The commute is probably not that bad since San Antonio has a decent size airport. I was talking more about getting a reserve position there.

There are full-time reservists. All the full-timers in the SUPT reserve program are AGRs.

You can fly as much as you want. In fact, it's encouraged. Part-timers (traditional reservist) are expected to fly when on status unless they're SOF/RSU/other flying related duties.

We don't have retired dudes flying for us. There's a thread on this subject somewhere in here.

I Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back