Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
I'm going to look at an 'A' model T-28 in a couple of days for a possible purchase. I feel like we've got a pretty good handle on what to look for, but would love some input from anyone here with experience.

This particular airplane has about 2000TT,300 SMOH, prop inspection due October of next year (but a/c has always been hangared and passed last inspection). Flown regularly.

If we get a hold of it we will base the a/c on a very smooth grass runway that is 3000' long.

What are your thoughts on this type and what should I be looking for during my visit?

Thanks to all in advance!

I would just be a bit curious of 2,000 TT. Most worked pretty regular when in the service. That time would raise a flag for me. My B model has over 11,000 hours, and had over 10,000 hours when released from service. Seeing that the airframe must be close to 50 years old or more, that is only 40 hrs per year.

Hung

Actually, the bulk of the A models are really, REALLY low time. The Air Force only flew them for a short period of time before they upped the H.P. for the better performance. So they were used very little. To us it's part of the attractive picture of the A models relative to the B's and C's. Cheaper to run and airframes that are virtually unused.

I have a total of 1 hour of T-28A time,logged back in '06, a wonderful airplane, and that 800hp mill up front will be a lot more gas friendly than the B,and C versions. A joy to fly ! you are blessed !

yeah,well,next CARQUAL will be in another life...

We took a look and it's a rock solid airframe. We're considering an offer right now. Low time on an old overhaul (which are really, really expensive) and some TLC needed in the pits has us thinking about how much we would give for it. It's got all the mods that you want (pre oiler, scavenge, cleveland brakes, etc) so that's a plus.

I'll keep you posted.....

Where is it located? My father in law is a professional in t28's and delivers them all over the place and can probably give you an honest report on it.

Latest resources

Back