Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetalc

Button Pusher
OK - this is driving me crazy. On the high-alt enroute chart over Area 51 and N. California, there are several airways that are "Direct Airways" according to the Jepp intro. Most of these airways go between two VOR's, just like any other airway, complete with a specific radial on either end. The name of the airway is simply a "D" instead of "J157", etc. Can anyone shed any light on what the significance of these airways is? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Since when did "area 51" get transferred to California...north or south??

I think your confusion extends beyond the symbology on a chart.

Thanks for nothing.

Well, AvBug, thanks for your informative response. What I meant was the enroute chart that covers Area 51 and Northern California. Sheesh. An honest question, and an a$$hole response. Thanks.

jetalc said:
There - I re-edited the question to clarify...

D for Defense? Maybe DOD route only?

But I'm just talking out of my arse here.

I was thinking that at first, but the Jepp manual just defined it as a "Direct Airway."... problem is, I'm not sure what the significance of one is...

According to the Jepp Intro, Direct Routes are those routes that ATC knows about, pilots know about, and Jepp knows about, but ATC computers may not accept.

This may be a direct flight between two VORs that are too far apart according to their service volume limits, but a /G or /R (RNAV) aircraft can fly with no problems. The computers, raised on VORs and NDBs, won't accept the pairing, but the pilots and controllers can and do accept. For example, although I don't see this as a "D" route, fly the Red Bluff VOR direct to the Albuquerque VOR. No problem for GPS, unless China Lake or Sandia are playing with the GPS ON/OFF switch. Or, Shafter VOR direct Junction VOR, again, not a problem with RNAV, and certain flights out of Bakersfield, just southeast of Shafter, CA get cleared direct to Grand "Junction" VOR in CO.

Great fun.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Latest resources

Back