Switching jobs ...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jim-

"there are plenty of corporate operators who require the pilot to send himself through FlightSafety"

really? where???
who would do this??
who can AFFORD to do this?
REAL corporate A/C cost 25-50K for a FSI visit!

remember, EJA is NOT a corporate operator. (from what I recall they used to require PFT, now its another form called a "training contract" I think...they are an airline. good and bad i suppose, but thats another story

Unprofessional to walk after someone pays for your training??? Not necessarily.......i myself think its MORE unprofessional to pay less than industry standards....and downright foolish if you are the pilot staying there being abused!
Be a true professional I say, but only when you are treated like a professional. Professionals get respected and PAID. period. And smart professionals work hard, take advantage of opportunities, and look out for #1 (How do you think that boss bought his GIV??) I bet it wasn't company loyalty.....

The jobs I am talking about are the revolving door jobs, operators who hire low time guys, throw them in a jet, maybe give them a little training, MAYBE a trip to FSI after a year, pay them very low, and know they will leave. There are a lot of these. Low time guys should take advantage of the oppotunities, say THANKS and LEAVE!!!!

If you want to be the one who stays to make a point, so be it. But this practise has been going on for years and wont ever change! Its a career, there are steps to take, and maybe YES a few bridges get burned. All I am saying is pick them carefully.

Its not personal, its business ---- On both the pilot and the employers end.

Hope the wx is good in Hawaii, you are lucky.

Switching Jobs...

I think the original question was," is it ok to leave a corporate job after 2 months?"
If the other job is better, then by all means, leave! It amazes me that companies can pay pilots so little and at the end of the day we are all afraid to say we found something better. If they don't want to lose you, maybe they will offer you more money to stay. If they don't care that you are leaving, then what does that tell you. I worked for three companies that payed below the poverty level, and when I handed them my resignation letter they looked at me with this puzzled look. When you find out they are hiring people right out of college for entry level jobs and they are paying them twice as much as they are paying you, it's time to leave. The problem is we all (pilots) continue to allow people to treat us this way. What would they do if people quit taking the jobs for $25,000 a year? They can afford to purchase multi million dollar aircraft and fly all over at $1,000 an hour but can only pay you $2,000 a month, there is something wrong with this picture. I don't care if you leave in a year or 10 years, they should pay enough for you to live comfortably! The Chief Pilot's are as much to blame as anyone. They should fight for the pay for their help. When I go to work I want to work with someone who is happy and has no worries. Pay well, give 'em time off, get your help some nice perks and I believe they'll probably stick around for a few years, but even if they don't you had a content, and safe pilot while he was working with you.

Got off on a rabbit trail, OOps. If it's a better job, explain it to your current employer. If they don't understand there is nothing you can do about it. Leave nicely, and even though they may get upset with you, in the end they will respect you. You never know the guy your flying with right now may be asking you for a job some day?

"Be careful whose toes you step on on the way up the ladder, because they may be attached to the butt your Kissing on the way back down." That statement works both ways.

Good luck to you,

Latest resources

Back