• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

swatogether

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And we thank you for the chronically low wages of the last decade and embracing the outsourcing juggernaut that placed tens of thousands of pilots on perpetual subsistence wages all while continually shrinking the pool of higher paying jobs.

We had to deal with you now let's see how you deal with us.

Outsourcing is probably something you'll have to embrace to grow your international flying. It's a reciprocity issue. And although I really get disgusted with a lot of you, I wouldn't wish pbs on you. If you're offered a 100% pay raise you should still turn it down. It's that bad.

Pensions becoming something of the past in this profession? Squarely and completely on you.

So you're saying the end justifies the means, IF you're southwest?

Ends justifying the means?

No, I'm telling you those guys that you try to crap on for their 'low wages', retired MULTI-millionaires Flop. You understand that don't you? They reaped the rewards as SW flourished. It's part of the story that doesn't fit you agenda....so you ignore it.

401k vs. Pensions. Which one turned out better?

Ends justifying the means?

No, I'm telling you those guys that you try to crap on for their 'low wages', retired MULTI-millionaires Flop. You understand that don't you? They reaped the rewards as SW flourished. It's part of the story that doesn't fit you agenda....so you ignore it.

401k vs. Pensions. Which one turned out better?

No, I get that Red. My point is: what if going thru bk proves to be what legacy pilots use as a springboard to retiring multimillionaires? Having shed the debt and with what looks like insane profits ahead, some version of that could happen.

And I agree 401ks have pensions beat, for now. What if 401ks were abandoned by one of our competitors to undercut both of us? You going to be cheering them on? You guys were running around ripping everyone's nuts off, now you're crying foul when someone might rip yours off.

Last edited:
Pensions becoming something of the past in this profession? Squarely and completely on you.
You really can't be serious. Are you that obtuse or is your blind hatred for all things Southwest so strong that you must find a way to link all your misfortune to some one else?

http://fapa.aero/content.asp?id=80&Gateway=Career
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pilots today are at risk--of various degrees--of losing some of their pension benefits. This is a scary statement, but it is also a true one. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is happening, though, is that for several years the stock market has experienced a general decline. Simultaneously, interest rates are at 40-year lows, and interest rates play a major role in determining funding levels. Add to that the cash-flow crisis at most airlines, which makes it difficult for them to contribute the extra funds required to keep the pension adequately funded. This is what some have termed "the perfect storm" of pension underfunding, as all of these variables play a role in what is currently happening in the airline industry and others.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I missed the part where it says it's all Southwest's fault.

[/FONT]

I'm not crying foul on anything. Just don't like revisionist history.

As far as legacy guys coming out from under bankruptcy and getting millions in retirement funds...I'd be happy for them too. I don't wish ill on those guys. I think it's a good thing for each pilot group to do well.

I don't blame the pilots of any of these work groups for the crappy management decisions these guys made. And there really were some horrible decisions. If you worked at NW, DL, UAL, US or CO...what could the employees do but sit in disbelief and watch? So it was really the executives that sent them all through bankruptcy. Poorly, poorly run companies. For years.

No scope relief and no PBS type of scheduling. We worked hard and gave up real dollars for that language and it will be VERY expensive for them to get relief!

PBS started at the regionals and is currently at more regionals than majors, from what I hear. That alone speaks volumes... Even if not true I have never seen it benefit employees to give the company more decision making power and employees less.

The company hired Randy Babbitt. I think swapa should hire Steve Kolski. The other trannies will know what I'm talking about.

Suppose you look at the world through other than Unical-colored glasses. "Pensions becoming something of the past" is not even an airline-specific phenomenon, let alone something Southwest created. Private businesses over the spectrum are going this way, due to lots of economy-related factors: thinner profit margins, retirees living longer, spiraling healthcare costs, changing demographics and their demand from industry/technology; you name it. Defined benefits-based retirement plans are being replaced by defined contribution-based plans the world over. Even municipalities, which historically roll over and give their unions whatever they want are going this way. Hell, even the military is trying to do this.

Blaming Southwest for this just shows your anti-anything-that-has-to-do-with-SWA bias.

Bubba

The company hired Randy Babbitt. I think swapa should hire Steve Kolski. The other trannies will know what I'm talking about.

Best idea I've seen in a while.

Latest resources

Back