SWAPA wants all FAPA Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
spciii,
You are accusing a FAPA pilot of making these statements. Be careful not to throw people under the bus, as most of the anti-SWA posts are being made by annonymous poters that dont work for Frontier.

Fair enough. Point taken. I thought I left myself an out with the "if your feelings are indicative" statement, but maybe not. . . .

In fact F9 is the only profitable airline from both an operational and net basis so far this year. Its expensive to operate in BK, they are looking to shed that anchor and really move forward now.

really? I'm not a CPA but it seems to beggar belief that someone can claim, in all seriousness, that they are doing the best of all the airlines financially, while they are in bankruptcy.

here is a tip, what you shed in bankruptcy is your debt obligations. the reason you can't come out of bankruptcy is that no investor would give you exit financing because even after the bankruptcy plane wash to get rid of all that pesky debt obligation, F9's future was in doubt. RAH and SWA aren't offering exit financing but are looking to buy the whole shebang for about 100 million.

it isn't a judgment on the character or quality of F9 people. it just is what it is. to deny that F9 had a rough patch is to deny reality. maybe SWA will be there some day, I don't know. but as of today, we are actually making money AND paying our debts AND paying our employees a fair wage AND matching their 401Ks. F9 employees deserve as much. maybe not from SWA, that isn't for me to decide, it is up to the judge but this refrain of 'we've made money for 8 months' borders on delusional. yes you have but you need to look at how you got there and why no one would give you exit financing. it is called context. and in a situation like this, it is everything.

No story on the station manager....

I agree with the above post.

Second try

Since no one replied to my earlier post i will quote msyelf and wait for a response since i am very interested in the feeling out there. Is it fair for WN to staple and not RP, and why.

Southwest is by far one of my favorite airlines to travel with...The aircraft could use more luxury but the airline itself is tops. With that being said Southwest is about profits. No acquisition southwest has ever made has turned out beneficial for the airline being aquired. Why is there a belief that this will change?
How many southwest people entered their opinions in the NW/DAL and AWA/U.S. Airways intergration about what is fair...and these same people are now saying a staple is fair. And yet they say a staple of midwest onto republic would not be fair. Is this a case of i want my cake and eat it to.....I just want to recap what i'm saying in order to clarify it for some on this board.
People on here believe it is fair for WN to staple F9.
But those same people are saying it is not fair for RP to staple YX.
And hypothetically if RP wins the auction for F9 will the same WN people that believe the stable is fair still believe a staple of F9 onto RP to be fair?
Both of these are purchases not mergers. Is this a case of what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.

EN MORT MAIN

EMM,
I think we all ignored your post because it postulates some pretty far fetched ideas.
No acquisition southwest has ever made has turned out beneficial for the airline being aquired.
to start with, I'd say that most ex-Morris, now 15 year SWA captains, might feel differently. maybe they would have been better off staying with Morris (a 2 year old airline at the time) than coming to SWA. Some of them did sue and there were some hard feelings, but a reasonable observer could conclude that this M&A worked out pretty well for the guys getting acquired. so I take issue with your very first point which you present as self-evident. oh yes, and did you know how Morris got integrated? straight staple.
People on here believe it is fair for WN to staple F9.
But those same people are saying it is not fair for RP to staple YX.
I haven't seen much discussion from SWA pilots about what RAH should or shouldn't do with F9 should they acquire them. We can all look to what they did and are doing wiht Midwest as a recent and relevant lesson. 2/3s of Midwest pilots are on furlough while E170s and E190s fly around painted in Midwest colors, based in Midwest hubs, flown by RAH pilots.

the 'fair and equitable' has something to do with 'career expectations.' if, and I haven't seen it, but if someone is saying that a staple of F9 to RAH is unfair, it has to do with these concepts. F9 flies bigger metal for more money (even in bankruptcy) than RAH guys are currently flying. F9 could be argued to have better career expectations than RAH guys. but frankly, if RAH gets F9, it is no longer the concern of SWA pilots. they won't be SWAPA.

If RAH bought DAL through some big leveraged buyout, are you proposing that DAL should be stapled? what if DAL bought RAH? career expectations is what you are missing in your analysis. it is a pretty simple and accepted premise of AGM discussions. not so simple to execute fairly but anyone familiar with the landscape of M&A wouldn't be asking such a blatantly self-serving and, pardon me for saying so, ignorant, question.

Last edited:
The problem is that you have a big airline and a small airline. You have a high paid airline and a lower paid airline. What is fair? If F9 is stapled, they lose seniority but get a huge gain in pay. If they are integrated they keep seniority and get a bigger gain in pay. Where is the benefit for the SWAPA pilots? Only in a staple. Why, because F9 gets the money and SWA gets some seniority. It is the only thing that will not be a windfall for one side.

Latest resources

Back