SWAPA Comments about 717

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You wanna keep talking about dicko?

Cool. Your 6year FO payrate went from 74/hr to 95/hr as soon as Southwest stepped in. That's a 28% immediate impact on your hourly rates. I agree you guys should be working hard this summer and making more than min, I'm not sure what Dallas is thinking. That part is crazy.

LOL - I was thinking more along the lines that it's a lot more than just 10% of us that are torqued at the moment, which is probably what he's seeing out there on the line.

Eventually it'll just be the 10%'ers, but for right now it's more like the 50%'ers.

Agree. The 10% are the ones not pissed off. I've been a little surprised by the anger from FO's.

How can you be overmanned with only 8% reserve coverage?

Because Southwest doesn't want to pay pilots to stay home....even pilots on reserve.

Honestly PCL, I can't wait for you to come across the partition so you will finally know from where you speak about SWA. :rolleyes:

Oh I know, wasn't trying to start an argument, the whole "double your money" thing we hear from time to time just grates on our nerves, similar to us saying you guys don't share any of the pain in this deal. Just trying to interject some real-world numbers in there, should have just shut my yapper. ;)

And yes, I agree 100% that the quick resolution to our contract fight was driven largely by Southwest management, but I do know we would have gotten to those rates, it just likely would have taken another 6 months to a year.

I'm not hugely concerned about furloughs, either (never rule them out but it seems as though the plan we know at the moment with the delay of the Classic retirements will solve that problem). It's just going to be a long process. Hard to "move on" when every few months there's "something else" that pretty much resets the clock. It'll be fine eventually, just gotta keep on keeping on. :beer:

Good level headed post Lear. I agree. We both have our 10%ers and those with hurt feelings. I prefer to be part of the 90% and welcome you guys over. Yapper closed!

You wanna keep talking about dicko?

Cool. Your 6year FO payrate went from 74/hr to 95/hr as soon as Southwest stepped in. That's a 28% immediate impact on your hourly rates. I agree you guys should be working hard this summer and making more than min, I'm not sure what Dallas is thinking. That part is crazy.

Our contract was signed under time pressure from SWA. That put downward pressure on it for us. It would have been a better contract without the SWA effect.

You'd think I was a fool if I suddenly became an expert on SWAPA Section 6 negotiations wouldn't you Red ? You're making the same mistake, making assumptions based on a lack of knowledge. There are people here whose names are signed on the CBA that you are suddenly an expert on.

Being pissed off is one thing. Taking it out on each other is another. I understand why the AT guys are pissed. I would be too. But, when I get lectured about what "I" supposedly did to the AT pilots I wonder about that persons abilty make sound decisions based on this thought process. I am just along for the ride too. Note, this has only happened twice, my only reply to both was " none of this was my idea." Most of the AT folks have still been very accommodating and professional.

Has the ATL base been announced? When will that happen?

No official word yet on the pilot side. FA's will see a base no later than 2015 according to their agreement (as it was explained to me). ATL will be a base when it makes sense for SWA to make it a base. How and when they decide to do that is going to depend on the transition of aircraft and crews from AT to SWA. So right now there are a bunch of AT 717/737 aircraft base in ATL doing AirTran flying. SWA will have to decrease that flying considerably before opening a SWA domicile. We do alot of connections through ATL and Int'l flying. Since at the present time none of that flying can connect through SWA reservations, you have two distinct pots you are tryin to fill at one time. This is why the transition is going so slow. At some point (2014) SWA will have to make some bold moves and accept more risk with the transition, but for now, they are taking it slow, getting as much done as possible, before pulling the trigger on the main effort. The trigger in all of this, is getting the new res system (Amadeus) operational on the SWA side.

Our contract was signed under time pressure from SWA. That put downward pressure on it for us. It would have been a better contract without the SWA effect.

You'd think I was a fool if I suddenly became an expert on SWAPA Section 6 negotiations wouldn't you Red ? You're making the same mistake, making assumptions based on a lack of knowledge. There are people here whose names are signed on the CBA that you are suddenly an expert on.

Two things dicko,

1- So you thought you could do better than a 28% pay increase without SW? Seriously?

2- I know more about your negotiations than you may think. How many sections were open? Which ones were they?

That completely disappeared when SW made the announcement.

Latest resources

Back