SWA - when do you grub?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AK737FO

At Alaska, our pairings are built with 35 minutes on the ground. I've heard that SWA is something like 20 minutes (I don't even want to get into the brake cooling chart on that one...)

So, the other night we got to the gate 15 minutes early on a turn. I set up for the next leg, did my walk around and then kicked back. The Captain and I were soon enjoying a fine crew meal while we enjoyed a nice sunset in FAI. In between bites of teriyaki chicken, we discussed the finer points of crew meals. Free, usually hot, usually good.

So this brings me to my question. When do you guys at SWA find time to eat if nothing is provided for you? It seems like your career would be spent running into the terminal, eating over priced burgers and fries, or $10 three day old turkey sandwiches out of Rashad's paper stand cooler.
I can see brown bagging it, but that isn't going to get you through a 3 or 4 day pairing.

Just curious on how it works for you.
Good flying (and grubbin) to all.
AK737FO

Last edited:
"Break cooling chart"? Never heard of it.

Guess somebody ought to tell Flight Ops at the biggest operator of 737s in the world about this thing... is it important? Heck, SWA has only been doing 20 minute turns for 30+ years, so you can probably teach them a thing or two about how to operate giant jet aircraft...

Or, does that thing in the onboard performance computer about "max quick turn weight" deal with the same thing? It calculates it for every landing, and it's rarely a factor. Sometimes, but not often. Don't know if the fact that SWA doesn't use autobrakes on landing helps or not.

Oh, nevermind, we do have cooling info... except we call it "BRAKE cooling," and it's used for rejected takeoffs...

Brake cooling on SWA 20 minute turns is right up there with Jet Blue not paying for their jets & the airbus autopilot that can't be disengaged as a silly urban legend that never quite dies out.

As far as food goes... there are ways to solve that problem too, as SWA pilots have been doing for the last 30+ years! (How they did it during *10* minute turns back in the good ole days is a far more interesting question, however!)

WOW, teriyaki chicken. Eaten out of a styrofoam container with a plastic fork while "kickin back" in the cockpit. You really are living the dream aren't you? You big stud ;)

Relax fellas...

Why so hostile fella's? The response from you two would suggest that I just kicked the family dog rather than asked a simple question about your work day.

Yes, I realize I made an error is spelling... I fixed it for you. Goodness I hope I never mis-spell another word as long as I live! And the chicken is in a plastic bowl with a Metal fork and a plastic knife. The chicken is still free, hot and good - and neither one of you two actaully took the time to answer a simple question for me - you just took the time to slam me for a miss spelled word.

Now, brake cooling. We don't have lap tops, I am sure they do a great job for you. We just have the chart to look at, and 99% of the time it is not a factor with a 35 minute turn. The chart I have shows a different story for 20 minute turns in the middle of summer. But I could really care less about brake cooling. I was asking a simple question about a SWA pilot's day.
Good flying to all.

No kidding AK, seemed like an honest question to me and these two smarta$$es come back with chicken$hit responses. Maybe they didn't get laid last night and are taking it out on you?? Dorks.

AK737FO, who knew you'd get bitc#$lapped for asking about food? Good thing ya didn't get into scope or wages or something, you'd have bricks coming through your living room window!

And I thought those guys over at SWA were hired for their good-natured, positive attitude? Huh, go figure?

What the F#^%

Geez, would you SWA poolies chill out!?

Questions about food does not equal personal attack on SWA....

--03M

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the SWA pilots are for the most part (except the 2 already noted posts) silent on this trread. I know they are all over this board, what with their "poolie" list and "rah-rah, let's pat each other on the back" threads.

So....whassup???? Y'all eat yet?

waaaaaaaa

Didn't you notice the smiley face?
And I don't see where I said anything about spelling
I was simply busting your b@lls a little because ANY meal in an airplane sucks.

As for the rest of you..relax :D

Latest resources

Back