• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA weight and balance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is also a possiblity that the agent was intending to do your buddy a favor. If things are so out of whack that there is a near zero possibility of getting him on, it might have been a twisted way of saying, you better find another option.

Better than what a lot of agents do, take your name, run you through CASS, "okay sir we'll call you", when there are 5 company guys already listed and they are about to start looking for volunteers.

I usually just pick up the phone and call dispatch to let them know I will burn more taxi fuel than the standard flight plan says. The jump seater gets on every time.

A little out-da-box thinking keeps everyone happy, and traveling.

Luckily, at FL, it's still up to the Pilots to make the final call about bumping jumpseaters for weight issues. . . . an accurate kiddie count helps . . Lots of our Agents have forgotten all about those, since it rarely is an issue with the -700 or the 717.

Taxi burn, a better altitude, or closer alternate can all help, too.

Last edited:
AT SOP is to use the reservation kid count too, it is usually off by several. If there is a wight issue we can always ask the FA for a true kid count. The trick is getting the agent to change the .Z.

AT SOP is to use the reservation kid count too, it is usually off by several. If there is a wight issue we can always ask the FA for a true kid count. The trick is getting the agent to change the .Z.

It used to just be SOP at Southwest, now it's fully automatic with no override ability. It's based on the fact that you have to put the date of birth for each passenger (TSA reg) when you buy a ticket. Then the computer does it whether you asked it to or not. Plus the Ops agent won't know for sure until the actual boarding passes are scanned as the kids actually get on. I think they took away the manual method at least partially because some Ops agents would every now and then list phantom kids weights just to get under ATOG when performance was tight (i.e. he realizes he's a thousand pounds over gross, and suddenly he 'finds' 11 kids, and now you've got 100 pounds to spare).

Bubba

It used to just be SOP at Southwest, now it's fully automatic with no override ability. It's based on the fact that you have to put the date of birth for each passenger (TSA reg) when you buy a ticket. Then the computer does it whether you asked it to or not. Plus the Ops agent won't know for sure until the actual boarding passes are scanned as the kids actually get on. I think they took away the manual method at least partially because some Ops agents would every now and then list phantom kids weights just to get under ATOG when performance was tight (i.e. he realizes he's a thousand pounds over gross, and suddenly he 'finds' 11 kids, and now you've got 100 pounds to spare).

Bubba

That would be a bad scenario in Mexico City. Saw bleeds off performance data at 73 degrees OAT! I also got to see what the end of the 13,000 runway looks like at about 165 knots and probably 100 feet agl.

Latest resources

Back