• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA WATRS routes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Financially, it looks like it makes sense, if they can pull in extra RSM.

Let's say that the Pilots are deadheading, F/A's are able to operate both legs.

Here's an estimate of the extra costs-

Crew cost differential- at least $2500. per R/T in deadheading crew pay

Aircraft Operating cost- the non-WATRS routing means an extra 40 minutes in operating costs for each R/T (about $3,000.).

Crew seats in cabin - when flights are full, you are going to have to reserve two seats for the deadheads. This cost is hard to calculate without knowing the load factors.

There would, however, be some savings in Landing Fees and fuel burn when using the -700's, so let's say these items cancel each other out.

If the above is correct, it looks like each of those -800's would have to pull in approximately another $5,500. per day to justify pulling them off the routes and subbing -700's.

That would only require $10. to $20. in incremental revenue per seat on a few flights each day; everything after that would be profit. . . . . Although, why not have AirTran doing these flights with our 700's, which are equipped for WATRS? Save all of the above, and probably more. ;)

Last edited:
I don't think it is any problem with the way Class II was going. I think it's an issue that our management is a bunch of accountants who are completely out of touch with everything and showing their blatant incompetence...just my opinion...

I think I get what gobyebye is saying. Why does a marketing decision have to be made into a bulletin? The bulletin says class II operations are suspended except for one day. Why don't they just route the aircraft anyway they see fit? This doesn't sound like a simple aircraft swap. It sounds like I couldn't fly SJU-BWI (watrs) if I wanted too. FAA probably just tripped out over FA training or some kind of Opsec compliance issue.

I think you are right, my read is someone forgot to get all the FA's trained in time, or cant manage to connect those trained with the lines they need to be on, therefore, round peg, square hole, no WATRS flights. That and we don't have enough 800's because we sold off those options.

One of the problems was the AAI FA's not being trained at SWA for WATRS. Someone thought it was ok that they just had it previously at AAI and figured they were good to go. FAA said nope they must be SWA trained.

I think it's an issue that our management is a bunch of accountants who are completely out of touch with everything and showing their blatant incompetence...just my opinion...
Southwest just announced that September 2013 unit revenue was up 7-8% Over September 2012 while Delta reported RASM up 5.5% and United's RASM was flattish YOY. Sounds like the accountants did a good job of figuring out where to deploy the aircraft in September.

Southwest just announced that September 2013 unit revenue was up 7-8% Over September 2012 while Delta reported RASM up 5.5% and United's RASM was flattish YOY. Sounds like the accountants did a good job of figuring out where to deploy the aircraft in September.

I'm sure they appreciate your support. Hell, with you on their side, how could anyone go wrong? :rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm happy that we are profitable and successful...I truly am! But, so is every other airline out there. We have accountants running every airline out there. But, this is not the same southwest that we all signed up for. We are all just numbers now. Look at our operation and how it's ran. It's all about numbers. We don't have enough ground staff. We started running APUs now because ground ops doesn't think it's important to run gate services...so they caved and now we just run the apu...I've been doing that for 2 years now. I hope it's just a bump in the road...but look at the way we are now...kind of scary

Something just doesn't jive with this story that I've heard as well. If this is all it was, then just put the planes back on the SJU route, that simple. I think there is something more to this story.

considering you're serious, how exactly would you do that, genius?

do you realize that schedules (you know, the thingy that customers look at/book months and months in advance) need to be... ummm... what's the word.... PUBLISHED?

so now that the -800s are sold to capacity... how exactly do you "just put the planes back"? What do you do with the 37/32 extra pax if you just downgrade the airplane and "put the planes back"?

There's NOT more to this story. The -800 fares yield MUCH higher in other markets. Yes, even in the winter when everyone is going to SJU (shocker, right?).

Just fly the plane dude.

Latest resources

Back