• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mayor leaning toward saying YES to SWA

icon1.png
Houston Mayor Thoughts on Hobby

Chron.com

Mayor: Hobby expansion good for Houston

It was not a formal recommendation to grant Southwest Airlines permission to expand its operations at Hobby Airportso it can start international flights, but after Wednesday’s Council meeting Mayor Annise Parker made perhaps her strongest statement to date in favor of the proposal.

Parker will not make a formal recommendation to Council until at least next month. First, there’s a May 8 hearing at which Southwest lays out why the city should grant it permission to build a Customs facility and five gates at Hobby and United Airlines argues why it would be a bad idea for Houston. The city is also scheduling meetings in Hobby’s District I and Bush Intercontinental’s District B to gather community input.

But Parker appeared to show her hand yesterday when asked about the battle over Hobby. She said:

I have looked at the legal issues. I have looked at the economic issues. I tend to discount economic studies as always being overly optimistic, but there’s no question in my mind that we have an obligation to allow Southwest to proceed at their expense to construct the new terminals and there’s no doubt in my mind that it will enhance competitiveness in the market and be good for the citizens of Houston.

The study to which she refers was commissioned by the Houston Airport System and concludes that expanding Hobby would create 10,000 jobs and inject $1.6 billion into the local economy annually. United disputes that and is wrapping up its own study.

Mayor’s spokeswoman Janice Evans confirmed that the statement was not an official endorsement of the Hobby plan.

“We are still moving forward with stakeholder meetings and gathering information. She will make her formal recommendation when we’ve gathered that information,” Evans told me this morning.

There is so much accurate and thoroughly vetted data that would have to be ignored for the City to allow this, it simply should not happen.

30 something pages WOW.

Hey Flop answer me one question. What issue exactly is before the city of Houston?

All I want to hear out of you is: "Yup, you showed me proof". You said if I produced it, you would acknowledge it...

And as soon as you show proof, I'll acknowledge it. So far, hasn't happened. And I don't think it ever will.

Here's proof:

But Parker appeared to show her hand yesterday when asked about the battle over Hobby. She said:

I have looked at the legal issues. I have looked at the economic issues. I tend to discount economic studies as always being overly optimistic, but there’s no question in my mind that we have an obligation to allow Southwest to proceed at their expense to construct the new terminals and there’s no doubt in my mind that it will enhance competitiveness in the market and be good for the citizens of Houston.

The mayor isn't the issue- its the city council that will make the decision.
Don't under-estimate UALs influence over them- write letters and sign the petition-
The only way FOs are getting to the left seat is to grow- we need this for that.
The city council has to know there will be a national backlash against them if they create a restriction here.

The mayor isn't the issue- its the city council that will make the decision.
Don't under-estimate UALs influence over them- write letters and sign the petition-
The only way FOs are getting to the left seat is to grow- we need this for that.
The city council has to know there will be a national backlash against them if they create a restriction here.

You don't buy your Captains triple cheeseburgers from Wendy's ?

Hey man- that's the argument coming now about absenteeism- you want to upgrade before you're 60- help fight the slackers

Latest resources

Back