• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA wants to fly from HOU to MEX and SouthAmerica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What you don't get: Customers will pay more to ride on us. We offer a better product. Our frequent flyer program has 100 times more options (and you just recently cornholed your Rapid Rewards customers). We are reliable in Central and South America; A known quantity. Customers in this part of the world still appreciate these things. They don't want their cabin crew wearing shorts and telling jokes. Believe it or not, they don't really appreciate much levity in Caracas, Venezuela these days. Especially from loud Americans. Flying airplanes is considered pretty serious business.

This is another reason GK is running away from us. He doesn't win in a direct comparison. He wants to differentiate the SWA product primarily by distancing himself from competition.

What amount of this that does go on is something these countries want to see their own LCCs thrive at. It will be a shock to you, but the table will turn on you and the favor will be going the other way.
Care to share where SWA is running away from? DEN? MDW? LAX?

This is why you don't get it, the folks who will fly us won't fly you at any price.

This will start a international hub out of SAT, if this doesn't go through with HOU. Intrajet is already kicking Cal/UA azz (think which city has the largest, Money, Hispanic, Mexican, Latin, population.) SWA will serve the south out of TEXAS no matter if it is HOU, SAT or AUS.

If History is any lesson, the corrupt politicians will win...it's a tough business...this could get ugly...SWA needs to buy the pols like UCAL has...

Just what the hell is up with Texas, supposedly conservative free marketers, always screwing around with their most successful airline, and arguably most successful corporation ? Setting false barriers to entry and attempting to control where southwest does business?? This is not capitalism folks.

Mad jack- I doubt we will pay off opportunistic council people- we'll exert pressure (herb is an advisor to presidents and has been for years), but if Houston council people are hell bent on protecting united there we will run extra flights to SAT and AUS and serve south of the border from there as Texman said-
It will affect us almost none- but Houston will lose-
International out of Texas is coming either way

Funny how bad the rap is about California from texans, but you don't see this blatant protectionist crap there.

Last edited:
This will start a international hub out of SAT, if this doesn't go through with HOU. Intrajet is already kicking Cal/UA azz (think which city has the largest, Money, Hispanic, Mexican, Latin, population.) SWA will serve the south out of TEXAS no matter if it is HOU, SAT or AUS.

Exactly. Houston can either get the economic benefits of allowing this at HOU, or they're going to lose the benefits to SAT or AUS. I'm sure they'll be happy to have us down there. After all, Gordy and Smisek haven't bribed enough politicians down there yet.

Houston: proof positive that people who call themselves conservatives don't understand capitalism.

Council rips study painting Hobby expansion as boon

Updated 06:50 a.m., Tuesday, April 17, 2012

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...study-painting-Hobby-expansion-as-3486551.php

In a three-hour grilling of Houston Airports Director Mario Diaz, council members complained that the numbers in the study strained credulity, that they were kept in the dark about Southwest's pitch for at least eight months, that airport officials have been condescending and that council and others should have been asked for input before Diaz recommended approval of the Hobby expansion.

United had, perhaps, its finest day in the war over Houston's skies as council members expressed skepticism and sometimes hostility toward a study done in two months for $110,000 that is to guide council toward what the mayor called a "historic decision" in which billions of dollars are at stake for Houston.
"What may be the largest issue perhaps of the century, you all have blown it in my view," Councilman C.O. Bradford told Diaz. "This rollout simply has been a complete disaster. I mean lack of transparency, arbitrary time lines, total disregard, disrespect for council. It's just unconscionable."
'Custom-made'?
Councilman Al Hoang said, "I feel that this report is already biased, it's already custom-made just to satisfy the demand of Southwest."
A council chamber gallery usually vacant for committee meetings was packed with operatives for both airlines, which have enlisted lobbyists, former city officials, attorneys and public relations professionals to make their case to the 17-member council. Monday's hearing suggested that United's efforts have gained more traction.
Councilman Andrew Burks questioned the numbers in the report and singled out a projected fare of $133 to Bogota.
"You can't even fly from Houston to Lubbock on Southwest for $133," Burks said. "I really want to just throw this proposal out the window because, right now, when I see numbers that can't match, it just don't work for me."
United is working up its own study on the impact of an international Hobby. The two airlines are scheduled to square off in presentations before council on May 8.
Councilman Larry Green called for a new study to be done by a consultant with no recent ties to the city.

Last edited:
It appears that many Houston city council members feel a bit hoodwinked by Diaz. Should be interesting going forward.

Last edited:
My favorite part of the entire article, at the very bottom...

"I don't know what another study would produce," Diaz said after the meeting. "The data, as another council member said, is the data."

Interesting indeed.

I had no idea Texas was so progressive. Big government regulating the job creators. It's Obama on the ballot, it will really spice up the election when Texas goes blue.

Hey bud, perhaps you should look what SWA did to your proud UAL/CAL in DEN. The majority of your mainline flying is gone. And if you think your superior revenue will win out, didn't work too well in DEN. Check your data for a change.

DAWG

What you don't get: Customers will pay more to ride on us. We offer a better product. Our frequent flyer program has 100 times more options (and you just recently cornholed your Rapid Rewards customers). We are reliable in Central and South America; A known quantity. Customers in this part of the world still appreciate these things. They don't want their cabin crew wearing shorts and telling jokes. Believe it or not, they don't really appreciate much levity in Caracas, Venezuela these days. Especially from loud Americans. Flying airplanes is considered pretty serious business.

This is another reason GK is running away from us. He doesn't win in a direct comparison. He wants to differentiate the SWA product primarily by distancing himself from competition.

What amount of this that does go on is something these countries want to see their own LCCs thrive at. It will be a shock to you, but the table will turn on you and the favor will be going the other way.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back