• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA wants to fly from HOU to MEX and SouthAmerica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And he also knows if he has to park airplanes right next to us and sell directly against us, he might not win. That is what this is about.
What part of this math don't you understand:

UAL CASM 2011 12.97.

LUV CASM 2011 12.41

Thats not only a win, it's a slaughter.

What part of this math don't you understand:

UAL CASM 2011 12.97.

LUV CASM 2011 12.41

Thats not only a win, it's a slaughter.

What you don't get: Customers will pay more to ride on us. We offer a better product. Our frequent flyer program has 100 times more options (and you just recently cornholed your Rapid Rewards customers). We are reliable in Central and South America; A known quantity. Customers in this part of the world still appreciate these things. They don't want their cabin crew wearing shorts and telling jokes. Believe it or not, they don't really appreciate much levity in Caracas, Venezuela these days. Especially from loud Americans. Flying airplanes is considered pretty serious business.

This is another reason GK is running away from us. He doesn't win in a direct comparison. He wants to differentiate the SWA product primarily by distancing himself from competition.

What amount of this that does go on is something these countries want to see their own LCCs thrive at. It will be a shock to you, but the table will turn on you and the favor will be going the other way.

What you don't get: Customers will pay more to ride on us. We offer a better product. Our frequent flyer program has 100 times more options (and you just recently cornholed your Rapid Rewards customers). We are reliable in Central and South America; A known quantity. Customers in this part of the world still appreciate these things. They don't want their cabin crew wearing shorts and telling jokes. Believe it or not, they don't really appreciate much levity in Caracas, Venezuela these days. Especially from loud Americans. Flying airplanes is considered pretty serious business.

This is another reason GK is running away from us. He doesn't win in a direct comparison. He wants to differentiate the SWA product primarily by distancing himself from competition.

What amount of this that does go on is something these countries want to see their own LCCs thrive at. It will be a shock to you, but the table will turn on you and the favor will be going the other way.[/QUOTE

Uniform change recently just not all have them. Nice dress and shirts/slacks. I will say we have you guy's beat on the customer service! Big time!

Good article from today. KHOU TV in Houston....

http://www.khou.com/news/local/United-vs-SouthwestAirline-execs-flock-at-City-Hall-147667505.html

by Doug Miller/ KHOU 11 News
khou.com
Posted on April 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Updated today at 6:13 PM

HOUSTON--Airline executives packed Houston city council chambers Monday as aviation officials formally presented their hotly contested recommendation to allow international flights from Hobby Airport. 
Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly sat in an audience crowded with lobbyists and consultants involved in the high stakes fight.
United Airlines—the city’s dominant air carrier, which hubs international flights out of Bush Intercontinental Airport – is fighting Southwest’s effort to fly international routes out of Hobby.  United has hired a number of former top level city officials to help lobby against Southwest, arguing that the proposal would force United to cut flights and jobs in Houston.
Testy council members peppered the aviation director with questions about his department’s economic impact studies, challenging his data and his conclusions.  Their sometimes angry comments made it clear that Southwest’s plans for Hobby won’t happen without a fight.
"I really can’t believe these numbers," said City Councilmember Andrew Burks, who questioned the $110,000 cost of the report presented to city council.
Houston’s aviation director concluded that Southwest’s proposal would lower air fares, create more than 10,000 jobs and generate an economic impact of more than $1.6-billlion a year.  But United has challenged those numbers, arguing the proposal would hurt Bush Intercontinental and create a net loss of jobs.
"I don’t believe the assumption that jobs will be lost," said Mario Diaz, Houston’s aviation director.
The proposal would cost all passengers flying out of Hobby an additional $1.50 per ticket.  That fee would pay for a $100-million bond issue, which would bankroll the expanded federal inspection services necessary for handling international flights.
Many council members were visibly angry with the way the proposal was handled, arguing that the aviation director had reached a conclusion without adequately consulting with all the people involved. 
"You all have blown it, in my view," said Councilmember C.O. Bradford.   "This roll out has simply been a disaster."
A number of council members echoed United’s argument that international flights from Hobby would pit the city’s two airports against each other and weaken Bush Intercontinental.
"I feel this report was custom made just to satisfy the needs of Southwest Airlines," said Councilmember Al Hoang.
Houston’s mayor and city council will vote on the proposal next month.

And in a VERY short period of time, SIX...yes SIX negative comments about how United is most likely playing dirty politics in trying to keep their Houston monopoly alive.

Now why would they be fighting so hard for this? No competition is a wonderful thing if you can keep it.

YGTBSM Red: It's your own study that is in question!! You asked HAS for it, and you probably "paid" for it ($110 grand)?! Claims 1.6 billion dollars a year and 10,000 jobs!? HAS' Diaz backs it up and hasn't read it or run it up the flagpole?!

Come on dude? This is real sloppy...

*edit* And what's up with the bond to pay for this? I thought SWA was cutting a check?

Last edited:
Flop, get a grip dude. I didn't make the comments, the people of Houston did. UCAL is pushing hard to keep their monopoly, simple politics.

K. You read the six comments. Did you read the article? The city council is not impressed with what appears to be a bunch of BS. You got to admit, this is pretty sloppy for SWA....

I love it. You are "resentful" the City of Houston might want to have a say in how things get done in Houston?! I think you should send that into the Chronicle. Let Houstonians know that you don't think they are equipped to run their city.

IAH is not a congested airport. It's the 7th largest in the US and it has almost zero delays by comparison. That is just you blurting out the normal SWA BS-speak.

Kid, I've flown more flights out of IAH than I can count- and though it's no OHare, I've sat in the Congo line for many hours there.
It's not just delays- its location- what's the average drive time to downtown or the galleria from IAH- :30-1:00 depending on traffic? And forget about the south of Houston towns

Do you know how many business people we fly out of Houston where flights out of IAH would add two hours to their day? Hobby is a good choice for us for many reasons, but mostly bc it's what consumers want. Now most fly in fly out types are domestic, but we're in hobby bc we don't need or want IAH- we don't need widebody 12,000' runways, or the congestion of scheduling around your hub and spoke traffic jams-
now we want to operate internationally- do you believe in free market capitalism or not? This is an example of inappropriate government interference in the market- this isn't about houstonians deciding- this is about corruptible Houston politicians deciding FOR houstonians. The people of Houston can and should be able to decide with their wallets. Do you think it's reasonable or remotely realistic for swa to give up their hobby operation for the convenience of united? It's so arrogant its ridiculous.

If History is any lesson, the corrupt politicians will win...it's a tough business...this could get ugly...SWA needs to buy the pols like UCAL has...

Latest resources

Back