Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA wants to be proud of the way it treats employees on both sides in the merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

SWA does not plan to cut its workforce after merging with AirTran Holdings , a move that likely will keep AirTran Airways jobs in Dayton safe.

Bob Jordan, Southwest Airways executive charged with leading AirTran during the merger of the two airlines, said the combined company does not intend to lay off any employees.

Southwest appointed Jordan as president of AirTran in May, shortly after Southwest bought the Orlando-based airline for $1.4 billion.

Southwest is now working through the process of merging the two companies with a target completion date of mid-2014, Jordan said. The combined company has about 43,000 employees, including 35,000 from Southwest and 8,000 from AirTran.

“There’s no target head count,” Jordan said.

“The target is to effectively bring the two companies together, in a way that we’re all proud of, and I mean that in a number of ways – proud for what it means for our shareholders, but also proud of how we’ve treated our employees on both sides,” he said. “There’s no target to eliminate staff, which is one of the first things you typically see in an airline merger is who gets laid off.”

Jordan said Southwest has told AirTran employees that they will have an opportunity at Southwest, although some of the headquarters jobs may require relocation to Dallas.

“We’re working through all this right now – that’s where I’m spending a lot of my time,” Jordan said. “The plan is to give everybody an opportunity at Southwest Airlines.” ...
Read Full Article

Remember... Gary said something to the effect that everyone will have the opportunity to come to work at SWA....it just may not be in the same job or location (seat for pilots) you were at previously. They are not laying people off...if the person does not want to change location and/or job, they can quit.

You can interview for the job but you don't have to be hired.

catch 22

Thats how this will be handled.

SWA does not plan to cut its workforce after merging with AirTran Holdings , a move that likely will keep AirTran Airways jobs in Dayton safe.

Read Full Article

Like someone else already posted, nobody is going to lose their job, but it probably won't stay in Dayton. Way too close to an existing SWA station. Will be interesting to see just how many former ATN destinations SWA decides to keep.

Bob Jordan, Southwest Airways executive charged with leading AirTran during the merger of the two airlines, said the combined company does not intend to lay off any employees.

Southwest appointed Jordan as president of AirTran in May, shortly after Southwest bought the Orlando-based airline for $1.4 billion.

Southwest is now working through the process of merging the two companies with a target completion date of mid-2014, Jordan said. The combined company has about 43,000 employees, including 35,000 from Southwest and 8,000 from AirTran.

“There’s no target head count,” Jordan said.

“The target is to effectively bring the two companies together, in a way that we’re all proud of, and I mean that in a number of ways – proud for what it means for our shareholders, but also proud of how we’ve treated our employees on both sides,” he said. “There’s no target to eliminate staff, which is one of the first things you typically see in an airline merger is who gets laid off.”

Jordan said Southwest has told AirTran employees that they will have an opportunity at Southwest, although some of the headquarters jobs may require relocation to Dallas.

“We’re working through all this right now – that’s where I’m spending a lot of my time,” Jordan said. “The plan is to give everybody an opportunity at Southwest Airlines.” ...
Read Full Article

Your title is incorrect.

You can interview for the job but you don't have to be hired.

catch 22

Thats how this will be handled.
Still furloughed from NetJets are ya? How's that return to flight instructing going for you? Go spread your lies over on that board since you are clueless as usual on this one.

Of course that is how they want this to go down. Is anyone surprised that SWA wants this to go smoothly and have most involved happy about where they are in the new company. That is what we all want. You must also know that SWA will protect it's current employees. I am sure that SWA management has contingency plans if things start to come apart (SLI). If they do not, they have not done their required due diligence.

And it's genuine. But there are two things to do with that- agree, learn about the company, have some perspective and join the family smoothly.... OR..... attempt to use this as leverage, redefine "fair" in the eyes of your members to gain a few more seniority #'s, hoping that swa&Swapa care more about their culture than they do some seniority.

Which route do you think ALPA will go?

I very much hope for the first. The culture and swa and every Swapa pilot is here for you. But it is not a one-way street.

And it's genuine. But there are two things to do with that- agree, learn about the company, have some perspective and join the family smoothly.... OR..... attempt to use this as leverage, redefine "fair" in the eyes of your members to gain a few more seniority #'s, hoping that swa&Swapa care more about their culture than they do some seniority.

Which route do you think ALPA will go?

I very much hope for the first. The culture and swa and every Swapa pilot is here for you. But it is not a one-way street.

The only true way to determine a fair list is to have someone on the "outside" who has nothing to gain except the standard arbitration fee. You know that. But, it appears on here that one group is nervous about someone else deciding their future seniority based on facts brought up by lawyers. Maybe they don't want it to be fair? Btw, the SWA pilots won't be losing a dime in this process.

OYS

Last edited:
Still furloughed from NetJets are ya? How's that return to flight instructing going for you? Go spread your lies over on that board since you are clueless as usual on this one.

You are so wrong BROTHER.

Sit back and watch and the facts will hit you in the face.

Latest resources

Back