Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seniority is everything!

HOUMAN said:
I've been in the SWA pool for 20 months and get 30 - 31 days off with 0 TFP. But that's just me.

Hey, I thought that seniority has benefits.....Houman, I have been in the pool for 21 months, and I am over 30 line numbers ahead of you in the pool but I don't have a better schedule than you. What's up with that?

AF (ex)

AF75,

Man, I thought we'd been through this already: it isn't your overall seniority that improves your quality of life, it's your SENIORITY IN BASE!

So, I'm guessing that you're the #1 poolie in your house / apartment at the moment, yes? How much better do you want it???

Sheesh!

((Just yankin yer chain!))

Snoopy

Don't know if these are common to others (ATA et all), but the things I like most about my schedule include:

1) AM trips, PM trips. Virtually all the lines are morning trips or afternoon/evening trips (almost no mixed lines). I'm a PM flyer and haven't set an alarm clock in years. Happily, roughly half the pilots like AM trips and the other half like PM trips, so even the most junior guy coming off reserve can probably get his preferred line type.

2) No Red-eyes. Unless you like charters and are senior enough to hold them.

3) No Stand-up Overnights. Unusual to get any lay-overs less than 12 hours or more than 19.

4) Duty day length. Very unusual to see one scheduled for greater than 11 hours--and since we avoid most of the delay-prone airports (ATL, LGA, ORD, EWR, etc), odds are that your actual duty will not vary greatly from scheduled.

5) Productive trips. Unusual to have more than one scheduled swap per trip (read: minimal airport appreciation time). Yes, we have some six, seven and a few eight leg days. But most of us here would rather fly a ONT-LAS-LAX-OAK-RNO-SJC-PHX day of quick turns that wraps up in 9 hrs, 40 min, than a SEA-DEN-ORD-BUF with 2-3 hr sits at the hubs and a 13 hour duty day.

6) No Hub & Spoke. Having done both, I think point-to-point domestic flying is far more enjoyable. More variety in the city-pairs and less time spent as number 25 for departure.

There's probably a few others, but those are the biggies.

Snoopy58 said:
AF75,

Man, I thought we'd been through this already: it isn't your overall seniority that improves your quality of life, it's your SENIORITY IN BASE!

So, I'm guessing that you're the #1 poolie in your house / apartment at the moment, yes? How much better do you want it???

Sheesh!

((Just yankin yer chain!))

Snoopy

Good point, Snoopy. However, being the #1 poolie in my house is not the same thing as being "Top Dog." I'm sure you are Top Dog at your house..... being Snoopy and all. Maybe I need to work on a better contract. Any hints Snoopy?

AF

Top dog at home, but still pretty low on the totem pole at work... hoping the poolies will be coming aboard soon to give me a boost there!

One thing I'd love to know about is how easy it is at SWA to make more than guarantee. The way we're set up, you either hardly work and make 75 hours, or fly and make 110. Most of our rigs count above guarantee, even if it's your first credit hour for the month, so you can make alot (heard we had a capt make $360k last year). Can you do that at SWA or are you limited to close to guarantee (like Delta)?

Thanks for the info!

It's very easy to get more than your guarantee. You can pick up extra trips through Monthly Open Time, Daily Open Time, Extra Fly lists and Voluntary Junior Assist. You can also pick up trips that other pilots are giving away.
I live in domicile and I've averaged 113 trips a month. Last month I bid reserve, worked 10 days, had 47 block hours for 118 trips. Some months I work more than others but I typically have 15 to 17 days off a month. I've averaged 73 block hours a month. Hope this answers your question.

It does- thanks!

BTW, where & when did you fly Freddie? I was at Travis 99-03.

Latest resources

Back