SWA & Unemployed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

f-dawg

I just finished the type and have updated my application. But I also have had to check the unemployed box. Does anyone know (or think they know) if this hurts the chances of getting an interview? Does it put me behind everyone who is gainfully employed?

I just finished the type and have updated my application. But I also have had to check the unemployed box. Does anyone know (or think they know) if this hurts the chances of getting an interview? Does it put me behind everyone who is gainfully employed?

Don't think so? The only thing that might come into play is recency of experience (date of last flight/how much time you’ve logged in the last year or so).

I do NOT know the answer for sure, but I wouldn't worry about it much. Every once in a while I wonder if it would HELP you get the interview... but maybe that's wishful thinking for all my furloughed friends.

And like MilPilot said, the big thing you need to worry about is recent experience... but that won't totally disqualify you if you at least meet the mins.

Good luck to you! I've been there, done that, too!

I know the answer.
I was scooped off the unemployment line when I got hired here. I was "between jobs" for 6 mos. while I practiced my wake boarding skillz.
As long as you are current per the application requirements, fuggetaboutit.
Our company knows that the industry is on it's a$$ and that everyone is scrambling to keep/get a job. Most of us have been unemployed, furlougheed, etc. Our company truely understands the state of the industry. Proudly check the "between jobs" box and go spend more time with the kids, drink before noon and go fishin', or just do your thing. Good luck!!

Last edited:
I'm hot on your heels (within a few months) of checking that box as well. I agree with the others that if the recency req. are met it shouldn't be a strike against you. If you are are furloughed being unemployed isn't your fault is? Just bad timing and your former managements lack of solving a problem any other way. Their are a whole lot of really great folks at SWA, if you score an interview and manage to sell yourself you just might get a little sympathy with them knowing you need a job worse than anyone else. It goes with out saying though don't say anything negative about your former employer...... saying your furlough was bad timing or luck of the draw is about as negative as you want to get. Even after that mild a statement you need to put a positive spin on the situation saying that it's all worth while because it led to this interview.... any negativity will hang you.

Hang in there and good luck,
Z.

It does not have an impact on the status of your applcation unless your are out of currency. (12 months I think)

not that it would stop me from going to SWA but curious if they require you to retire you seniority num if furloughed?

For what it's worth:
On the SWA the application manager site the pre-qualifying questionnaire asks if you have flown 200 hrs in the last 36 months. A yes answer lets you update your application.
Digging into the application the only other things I can find is a couple yes/no questions regarding employed vs. unemployed and the question "Have you been evolved in any furloughs during the last 5 years?"
AND~
"If you have been unemployed for more than 11 months you need to include the name of a "professional reference" or someone with "standing" in the community to verify your gap in employment."
I don't think I missed anything but I'm pressed for time right now.....So double check me before taking my word on that being it regarding unemployment.........

not that it would stop me from going to SWA but curious if they require you to retire you seniority num if furloughed?

I'm not bashing you JK, but who would ever want to go back someplace else, short of getting furloughed from SWA?
(to my recollection no one has ever been furloughed from SWA, in fact a group of newly hired guys just after 911
didn't even have their class canceled because they already gave notice to their present employers.)

Latest resources

Back