Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Turbine PIC requirement...in a Caravan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Morris

Anyone at SWA or other 'majors' know what the recruitment department would think of a person who applied with the 1000 turbine PIC requirement in a Cessna Caravan? Yes it is a turbine aircraft...I just would hate to invest the next few years cruising around at 6000' going 150 kts, and then find out that everyone is laughing when they see my resume.
Anybody out there who has gotten a good paying airline job (non regional) with Caravan time?
Would it be better to start over at a regional and put in a minimum of 4 years to get the time? I hope not, but let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Flight Experience:
2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours TURBINE total. Additionally, a minimum of 1,300 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in command3, as defined below is required. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO etc. NO other time is counted.3

3Southwest Airlines defines "Pilot in Command" for the purposes of application for employment as the Pilot ultimately responsible for the operation and safety of the aircraft during flight. The Pilot in Command should also be the Pilot who signed for the aircraft and who is the ultimate authority for the operation of that flight. For military personnel, Southwest Airlines will allow flight time logged as "Pilot In Command" (PIC) only if you are the Captain/Aircraft Commander, Evaluator, or Instructor Pilot. Primary time will only be considered PIC on a specific aircraft after an individual upgrades to Aircraft Commander in the appropriate aircraft. Time logged, as "Other Time" will not be considered. When converting taxi time a conversion factor of .3 or eighteen minutes, per leg/sortie should be used. These guidelines are imposed by Southwest Airlines for the purpose of standardizing the calculation of flight time.

Um, looks like Caravan time works.

I wouldn't put all of your eggs in one basket. It is highly unlikely that anyone is going to hire you without any crewed aircraft flight time.The Caravan time most certainly counts toward your total, but you're simply not competitive for an interview with only single engine turbine time in your logbook. (Even F-16 guys end up with 200 hours of T-38 time.)

Edit 1- I see you have some RJ time in your profile. You've got a shot, but I'll tell you from my experience, the folks they are interviewing have a broader background and muchm more twin engine experience than that.

Last edited:
Morris said:
I just would hate to invest the next few years cruising around at 6000' going 150 kts, and then find out that everyone is laughing when they see my resume.
Obviously you are considering a Caravan freight job, otherwise you'd know that they wouldn't be laughing at you when they see your resume because they'd know two things.

one...single pilot Caravan flying is demanding flying.

two...they'd know that if they laughed during the interview, they'd dam better have their desks and file cabinets bolted to floor.

I actually talked to one of our CP's about this exact thing about a year ago, getting info for a friend. He made it clear that Caravan time ONLY is not competitive, though it technically meets the requirements. That is not to say there aren't former Caravan drivers at SW, or guys with some Caravan time, but now apparently you need some multi turbine if you're civ. Good luck with whatever path you take, Morris.

PlanetK

Last edited:
LJDRVR said:
(Even F-16 guys end up with 200 hours of T-38 time.)

Is this T38 time considered "crew time" or is it training time. I wouldnt consider my flight training in a 172 to be "crew time".

skiandsurf said:
Is this T38 time considered "crew time" or is it training time. I wouldnt consider my flight training in a 172 to be "crew time".

No, but it is a ME jet.

Since the T-38s engines are practically next to each other right smack dab in the center of the airframe.......I think it qualifies as centerline thrust.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back