• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to speed up Airtran integration.....article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I expect Gary Kelly to ask SWAPA for concession. I expect SWAPA to smile and say the numbers don't justify concessions Mr. Kelly. I don't mind if Kelly and SWAPA agree to get rid of cartels and some of the "soft" pay that occurs now. I am not expecting much of hard raise but rather some increased profit sharing formula or stock options. Some of the best performing companies in the country have performance based pay.

Wow. This is the guy AirTran had fighting for their seniority? You just gave General Lee all the stats on how great southwest was doing and here you have a very defeatist attitude of not expecting a raise and you are ok with getting rid of soft pay. Soft pay at tends to mean QOL. You never give away that or work rules. You will never get them back and you basically are handing them back to management in exchange for what? Not much of a raise? POSSIBLE profit sharing?. I can see why AirTran pilots are in the position they are in.

One of the reasons that DL/NW merged so quickly was WORLDSPAN. Both airlines were using same computer reservations system. Look at the problems WN/FL and UA/CO are having due to inferior reservations system. Wait and see what happens when US/AA make the announcement to merge. US Airways is using Shares which CO had. When CO/UA merged UA decided to move over to Shares. If Parker does not switch over from Shares that merger will be a total mess.

Max,

The debt is being cleaned up by over $2 billion per year over the last 4 years, from $18 billion a few years ago to $10 billion by the end of this year, and then a savings of $500 million per year in interest alone. With that type of revenue and profits coming in, the outlook still looks good. If your finances are as good as you say and show, then I am sure GK will not ask for any givebacks. If he does, show him this post. I hope you are right. ;)

Bye Bye---General Lee

General, you have to understand that you're talking to the guy who engineered the biggest seniority giveaway in airline history. He has to make believe that everything will be roses and sunshine to even begin to justify it.

Wow. This is the guy AirTran had fighting for their seniority? You just gave General Lee all the stats on how great southwest was doing and here you have a very defeatist attitude of not expecting a raise and you are ok with getting rid of soft pay. Soft pay at tends to mean QOL. You never give away that or work rules. You will never get them back and you basically are handing them back to management in exchange for what? Not much of a raise? POSSIBLE profit sharing?.
You need to reread my post Kenny G.

"Hard" raise = pay rates
"Soft" raise = change in profit sharing formulas or stock options

If Gary Kelly pulls a $800-900 million net profit this year, your dam right we deserve a good chunk of that. Couple thousands share of LUV vested over time would work. That would probably reduce the number of Captains at AirTran that want to slow play the system.

I never said get rid of all "soft" time. I just said some of the extreme cases. PCL128, you gave the company (AirTran) back the URP credit in Contract 2010 and got something else in return. I find no fault with that.

Last edited:
General, you have to understand that you're talking to the guy who engineered the biggest seniority giveaway in airline history. He has to make believe that everything will be roses and sunshine to even begin to justify it.
General, you have to understand that you are talking to the guy who supports ALPA no matter what even if it runs all the ALPA majors into bankruptcy at one point or another :)

First of all most USAir pilots could not rip a wet paper bag.

Second, TB gave 100 percent and pushed more than anyone else I know would against SWA .

By this statement, you admire his tenacity and ability. As evidenced by his service at two prior employments, I would expect his desire to continue his service as a career politician will continue. Perhaps with your support, and others so like-minded, his installment in a position of prominence at SWAPA will effect similar large gains such as those he has secured at his two previous tenures.

I don't mind if Kelly and SWAPA agree to get rid of cartels and some of the "soft" pay that occurs now. I am not expecting much of hard raise but rather some increased profit sharing formula or stock options. Some of the best performing companies in the country have performance based pay.

That is called playing "not to lose." When you play that way, you never win. I guess that is why FL lost...a lot.

Phred

By this statement, you admire his tenacity and ability. As evidenced by his service at two prior employments, I would expect his desire to continue his service as a career politician will continue. Perhaps with your support, and others so like-minded, his installment in a position of prominence at SWAPA will effect similar large gains such as those he has secured at his two previous tenures.

I would vote for him in a New York second.

Latest resources

Back