• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to lower mins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I find the college degrees only crowd here, a bit arrogant, a smacking of if you do not have a degree you are not as good as me. I know too many people who are successful and fine men who do not have a degree, I know many people with degrees who will never make any impact upon anything. I know too many pilots without degrees who I consider some of the most successful people I know I admire them and the lives they have built.

IT DOES NOT matter what your degree is in...it could be in basketweaving or astronautical engineering. Going through the process to get that degree helps expand your intellect and your cognitive abilities. There are so many traits that you form getting your degree that helps you in aviation. Does biology help you throw the gear? Of course not - but the process of getting that degree helps you better think outside the box, there is no doubt about it...not to mention a better communicator which is huge in today's dog eat dog world of the majors competing with each other.

And as usual yip - you totally ignored my big point - what happens when things aren't 100% and you unfortunately lose that medical? You did that once before as well - that is where you have absolutely no retort whatsoever, and you know it.

If the military was doing so well with non-college grads flying airplanes, why'd they change it? It would have been cheaper right? In 1942 it was a P-51 vs. a ME-109 and who could spot the enemy first was usually the victor (i.e. the 20/20 vision requirement with no waivers). In today's world it's 20/70 waiverable up to 20/200. But now it's 8 F-15's, 8 F-16's, 2 F-117's, 2 B-52's, etc...on a large force employment strike mission. Most of the jets are supersonic with 20 mile closure rates and the hostiles are going to manuever in order to survive. College degree help here - your damn straight. Obviously they wanted college educated flyers for a reason.

And no, I don't think I'm better than a non-college flyer. Many are talented as you said. But having the ability to grasp elements in aviation when things don't go as planned or other dynamic situations - you bet that process of getting the college degree helps beyond comprehension.

Last edited:
"And as usual yip - you totally ignored my big point - what happens when things aren't 100% and you unfortunately lose that medical? You did that once before as well - that is where you have absolutely no retort whatsoever, and you know it." Did not ignore it, I just said my degrees did nothing for my employability (word?) when I was looking for a job outside of aviation at age 53. Lets agree to disagree, it is so American.

Latest resources

Back