• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

knelson

Southwest Airlines Flight Operations Department
Information for Prospective Pilots
Thank you for your interest in a flying career with Southwest Airlines. We will begin accepting applications via our new online application on January 12, 2004. Please refer back to this page for instructions on how to submit your information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated December 16, 2003

Just thought som of you would be interested by this. Good luck!

Kevin

Aside from what's already been posted on this board, anyone have the current skinny on what's going to be done with the folks who've already sent in paper applications?

Unofficial

You may wish to contact the PD directly to get the answer but I've heard this question asked & answered by the PD & I believe the following is part of the answer.

I've heard the PD will be sending out a letter shortly to all those who have apps on file notifying them of this new "electronic app". In the letter will be directions on how to indicate to the SWA PD how the applicant can clearly indicate through the electronic app process they have applied before. Their records will be flagged to indicate they had applied BEFORE the new 12 jan '04 date. NOTICE: This is the time to make sure SWA PD have your current address or otherwise this letter will not reach you.

While I don't have the details on the precise "electronic application" questions on the form I would think the simpliest way to make this all happen is for a line on the form to have a question simply asking, "Have you applied to SWA before?" With this simple question or some other simple series of questions, the files could be flagged as being those of folks who have applied in the past.

While those who have monitored this website or others are now aware that new apps will be accepted beginning 12 Jan '04, those who may have other jobs or who have lost interest in SWA have moved on. If some of these have submitted in the past but now elect to not apply, this will be clear indication to SWA who is "really out there" in terms of old applicants...no sense calling them for an interview if they aren't keeping up with things, i.e. the new app process. Lets face it, some/many have moved on & the sooner the PD can relieve themselves of the workload of handling paper apps, the better. However, folks who don't "re-new" their app with an electronic app will have no impact on who gets called for interviews....remember, total person concept. Yes some of them may have qualified before others but since they are no longer around, it becomes moot.

For those who maybe hanging on the hope that having applied previously via the "old" system will give you some phenomenal advantage over those who have not applied before 12 Jan '04, well yes & no. The new process for choosing applicants will be based upon "best qualified" I've been told. I've had it explained to me by the PD this means the entire picture of the applicant will be looked at; hrs, recency of flying, quality of flying, flying positions, progression, type(s), hours, etc. I'm sure those who have heard the PD speak lately this all sounds pretty familiar.

Again this is only my opinion & we know how many of us have worthless opinions, but if you were a strong applicant/candidate for an interview & you have an application on file & you had; lots of hrs, good record, good job progression, recency of flying, types, clean record, etc. then I would assume that stacked against similar folks who apply after 12 Jan '04, then the earlier one will get the call for interview before others who applied later.

However, if an earlier applicant had "just the minimums" for applying & applies via the electronic app process, then this applicant (again only my opinion) will most likely not stack up well against other new applicants or current apps. Will they get a call for an interview? Yes. Will they be among the first 500(or whatever number one wishes to use) applicants called? Probably not. But they will get the call at some point but it maybe quite some time & others applying after this person may be "more qualified" than the earlier applicant.

The good thing is that with the electronic process this same "minimum qualification" person can now update his application as often as they wish & can continuously improve their chances of getting called before others who ALL have the MINIMUM quals met. The old paradigm that when one applied will determine when one is called for an interview is probably out the window. At some point the PD will have a pool of applicants who's applications will be only those submitted after 12 Jan '04 but not anytime soon. When that happens will the date of app be a factor? I doubt it but again it is only my opinion.

SWA is looking to interview folks who are the best of the pool of pilots who are out there at one time. To do anything else would be rather shortsided and not good for our customers/shareholders. Again, if you were a strong candidate before, you'll be a strong candidate now.

One of the features of the new system will be the advantage the PD will have in putting out burst e-mails to EVERYONE at the same time on what is happening. While the draining of the pool will be slow initially along with the interview numbers, this is only the beginning & the pace will only begin to steadily increase (assuming things remain OK around the world). Eventually the pool will drain, time from app to interview to being on property will go back to what it once was (Mar app for me, July interview (could've been Jun), Oct on the property). This won't probably won't occur for another 18-24 months but if things accelerate, who knows. Good luck & begin getting those LORs, checking your credit/driving history, training records/log books in order, etc.

One other good piece of info I was told is the new app will eliminate the "supplemental info" that was sent out just prior to the interview to be filled out. All of this info will be included on the new electronic app which is good.

Sorry for the long answer but this will hopefully ease some of the stress some maybe filling. Have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year....Happy Birthday Jesus!!!!

Best wishes to all,

On-line Apps

Thanks Kevin for breaking this news. I'm sure you and many others are excited to get your apps filed with SWA PD.
Also to `chase', thanks a bunch for clarifying how those of us that have had apps in for quite some time will be handled. Looking forward to getting that LUV note!:D

Definitely LUV it!:p

"Outstanding Private Pyle! I think we finally found something you do well." GYSGT Hartman

Hello fellas, its been awhile. I know all my predictions for 03 did not come true but refer to my disclaimer; I AM NOT in the top 10 of people at SWA that are in the know. However, here is what I see in the future. We all know of the Jan 12th class. Congrats to all who made it. next class after that will be March 15th (Prediction only) followed by Mar 29th. etc. Certain fellas at SWA expect 300-400 new hires in 04. I tend to agree but will say that you will see 900 new pilots on property by end of 05. Watch BA. they will have more news for SWA than you might think.

Most of all, Bless our TROOPS and their families. Merry Christmas, see ya in March.

Corndog

Anyword on them possibly dropping the 1,000 PIC Turbine. I am sitting at 960 and furloughed with no hope of ever getting the additioal 40 hours?

Thanks

In talking with some Chief Pilots the need for 1000 hours of PIC Turbine is not going away. They want applicants who have experience as Capt & the 1000 hour # is a good cutoff.

xXpress1 said:
Ive heard of a couple places where you can "donate" your time flying sick kids around in king airs. Teddy bear air is one I think? That might be an option if youre only needing 40 hours.

Yea, but will they let him fly PIC?

xXpress1

You can get the picture from www.ifly737.com it's on the front page available for download, wallpaper, ect........

Cheers!

Latest resources

Back