SWA "Thank you" note

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A couple of points to consider:

1. As someone previously mentioned, if you are going to send a thank you letter, it needs to be sent within 24 hours of the interview. In the case of SWA, they take a lot longer than a typical employer to select a candidate. However, most employers in different industries make a decision within about 3-7 days.

2. It is good form to send a thank you letter after an interview. As someone mentioned, try to get the business cards of the interviewers. If that does not happen, then you can call the company (not talking strictly about SWA here), and tell them that you just had an interview with (insert name) and you want to make sure you spell their name correctly. (try to pay attention to their first and last names while you are in the interview) I recommend typing the thank you letter unless you have really good handwriting. If you want to hand write it, go ahead. The point is to send one as the statistics show only 1 in 300 people ever send a thank you letter.

3. As for SWA, I am not sure it would matter to send a thank you, as other people have stated, since the information from each of your interviews goes to the decision board, and I do not know if it would ever make it to the file. However, if you do get hired anyway, it will leave a good impression when you perhaps try to get a friend hired there. Also, the interviewers like to know they are appreciated, no matter what company it is! :)

4. In a recent meeting, where we had HR people in attendance, they specifically stated that a thank you letter would make a difference if the competition for the position was tight. (these were not aviation people)

It cannot hurt you to send a thank you letter, you will not be viewed as a brown nose, and it can only help you.

Kathy

How about this...

Send a thank-you with a $100 slipped inside. Or maybe a $25.00 gift certificate to Starbucks. Do you think it would help? Would it be ethical or just another way of saying thanks?

DalLeardriver said:
Send a thank-you with a $100 slipped inside. Or maybe a $25.00 gift certificate to Starbucks. Do you think it would help? Would it be ethical or just another way of saying thanks?

I would not suggest doing that. It might work against you. Some corporations have policies against receiving gifts, usually from vendors, but it might apply here. To me, it would look like a bribe and I would wonder what other "under-the-table" deals someone would resort to in the future.

Just my two cents...
Kathy

DalLeardriver said:

As a former interviewer I would have been obligated to inform the people department of what appeared to be a bribe. Not the kind of character we are looking for in an employee.

Not a good idea.

How 'bout a nice fruit basket...yes apples, oranges, bananas. yes..I think that would be real nice! Does anyone know if the fruit basket would make it to the decision board, I mean could they enjoy it while they viewed the applicants?

Latest resources

Back