SWA "Thank you" note

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717driver said:
Appropriate "a$$ kissing" is the proper way to do things. You never know when your file may be in the "out" basket and the thank you might find its way to the right people. (Caseyd's post notwithstanding.)TC

AA717 may be correct as it applies to SWA. The note may matter and maybe that's one reason SWA has such a positive culture. What happens at other places is the note is directed to the interviewer as that's to whom it is usually addressed. The recepient reads it and does with it what they wish as their input into the process has already been made. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, just point to the unlikelihood that it has any impact at all, in my opinion. But it is still polite and I still remember from whom I received a note. My personal opinion of then is impacted. It's just the polite thing to do and we can all benefit from more polite!
caseyd

I sent many thank you's, but not to all of the interviewers, because I was afraid of seeming like a brown-noser. I wish I had. Why? Because I was in fact very grateful for the chance to meet with them, and I appreciated their time. Should have told them so. So think of it this way: it's not going to get you hired, but let's just think positively and say you will be. Think of everyone you would wish you had sent notes to, keeping in mind that you'll see most or all of those folks again. Just my two cents.

Try to grab their business cards before you leave so you actually know their first and last names.

I don't think it helps, I think the input is already recorded. But it is classy and will help them feel good about you. If you were hired that just re enforces what they already think. If you weren't then maybe they'll remember you next time and recommend "hire" from guilt alone.
;)
Be sincere, be honest, treat everyone you meet as if they were a SWA Captain on the interview team and treat every SWA Captain on the interview team like everyone else (if you can't do that every day at least do it from the time you leave your house to interview until you get home).

Good luck!

I was hired and I never sent any. Caseyd is right, but if it makes you happy then send one. We hire people based on their ability to fly with us. The interviewer good or bad has already turned in their paperwork to the people dept.

Caseyd and Offhot are right on. It is a nice thing to do. I believe that it does not, and should not make any difference. I never gave a thought to sending one and don't know if anyone did in my class.

I interviewed with AirTran over the summer and sent a thank you note as soon as I returned home. A few weeks later, I got the dreaded letter in the mail. BUT.... just last week I was called for a second interivew. Am I glad I sent a thank you note? You bet! You never know, it may have had an impact on their decision to grant me a second interview over someone else. Something about burning bridges......

Latest resources

Back