Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

Yeah right! :)

Do they really believe that Jetblue would not get first shot at any gate space at LGA? Keep dreaming Gary....ps: Jetblue will see you at ISP next year.

"We have always avoided New York LaGuardia because of slot controls, high costs, congestion and inefficiency, and the impact that would have on our system," Kelly said. "The bigger we get, the less susceptible we are to a choice like that, but the fact of the matter is that right now you cannot get into New York LaGuardia. It is a more theoretical discussion right now. Where it goes in the future, as an airport in terms of access, I do not know."

Sounds like PHL?:D

http://www.btnmag.com/businesstravelnews/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001177870

Last edited:
Anybody know if DL can sell the slots at LGA, or do they revert back to the city?

Dude, why do you hate Southwest so much, did one of our pilots do your wife, or were you turned down in an interview. Which is it??? I know everyone has an opinion but i'm sick or your bashing. Give it a rest....... And yes I do work for Southwest and I, we, never wish bad on anybody or any company. The less money pilots make, the less we make. Why would we want that???

It is pretty hypocritical considering Parker complains about DFW not fitting his "business model". You don't know delays and inefficiency til you sit in line at LGA for a few hours.

Actually, as of Jan 1, 2007, LGA will no longer be a slot-controlled airport as the slot restrictions have not been extended beyond that point as of yet. So technically, slots would be available for SWA.

and it will be a parking lot again. Hopefully the slots will stay in place!

Hey Lower IQ. I thought you said "Jet Blue was going to get those gates at MDW." What do you have to say about that predication?
You post good press releases but your 2 cents worth that is always biased makes you incorrect alot. Stick to the posting of real time info.

lowecur said:
Anybody know if DL can sell the slots at LGA, or do they revert back to the city?

They are considered an asset and can only be sold. If their are no bidders then they revert back to the city, when their lease expires and then they are sold. The city actually owns the airports and the PA of NYNJ manage them.

In good times the only way to get additional slots is to buy them. AA did this with TWA.

In bad times, carriers are still required to pay the city. This is when gates and slots get returned to the city. The city then puts out a bid, they are awarded in a lottery. The last time this happened Jetblue, ATA and Spirt were awared additional slots. I believe that when Midway went under some slots were returned (but I could be wrong). Just because you are awarded a slot does not mean you can operate out of LGA.

The city doesn't gurantee you a gate, you need to negotiate that on your own (they rarely come up). Slots are also awarded on a time basis, you can request to depart at 9am but if your slot is for 3pm, so be it. This also puts a value on slot times. In bad times it's easy to move a 3pm slot to 9am. In good times, the guy who owns that slot time can kick you out.

AA does this alot. They move slots to Eagle, because all slots must be used or their is a clause that they revert back to the city if they are not used x amount in y time frame. Then when things get better they will switch that slot to a 5pm 757 to DFW departure (just an example).

Their are actually commuter slots and jet slots (this goes back to when commuters were props) The city doesn't push the issue in lean times especially when you consider how close some of the commuters and main line jets have become. But when things get better the city has the right to push the issue. They get more money from a 767 then they do a Beach 1900, on top of everything else you have to pay a landing fee to the PANYNJ based upon weight, the city wants more people because that equates to more $$$.

It's my understanding that part of the clause to get financing from GE, DAL had to sell all unencumbered assets. The slots were specificly mentioned. This will required DAL to sell them to someone. This does not meant Dal loses the slots. What it does mean is that DAL will now have to lease them back.

Slots and gates at LGA are tricky. I know for a fact that if USAir had gone CH7, part of their contract required that CAL has the first right to takeover the USAir Laguardia facility (slots and gates). This dates back to the Lorenzo days, when he was running Eastern and CAL. On January 17, 1992, USAir purchased 62 jet take-off and landing slots and 46 commuter slots at LaGuardia Airport (the Eastern Shuttle) and six jet slots at DCA from Continental Airlines for $61 million.

Ex737Driver said:
Actually, as of Jan 1, 2007, LGA will no longer be a slot-controlled airport as the slot restrictions have not been extended beyond that point as of yet. So technically, slots would be available for SWA.

The slots at LGA will never go away. They tried this a few years ago and then the PAofNYNJ put a stop to it. If you do a google search on it you will see what I am talking about.

The bottom line is th FAA can say what they want but NY city owns LGA and the PANYNJ runs it. They will have stated that they will not put up with a non slot run LGA.

lowecur said:

Who said they were selling slots and leaving? They could use them as collateral, but we aren't leaving to my knowledge. You are dreaming again. Please show me literature that says we are leaving--gone.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back