• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
The Corn Dog Cult- SWA tactics on the ramp

Anyone else besides me notice the little "game" of pretending not to hear ground or ramp, until they have cut you off?

Anyone else ever wonder what would happen if we all started playing "Chicken" on the ramps and taxiways?

I'm getting a little tired of it.

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
Anyone besides me notice the little game of pretending not to hear ground or ramp, until they have cut you off?

Anyone else ever wonder what would happen if we all started playing "Chicken" on the ramps and taxiways?

In the 10 plus years I have been here I have never seen what you are talking about. Not that it hasn't happen but I can assure you it is not the norm. As a first officer I was never approached by a Captain to behave such a way and as a Captain it has never occurred to me to be so unprofessional.

On that note Ty, one of the most unprofessional acts I have ever seen was by a Air Tran DC-9 one night a couple years ago in MCO that got the controller peeved. But I don't think that is your culture. In the last six months I have witnessed some extreme unprofessionalism by both USAIR and Delta that could have been safety issues if we didn't yield to their maneuvering on the ground. Again both times the controller had to intervene. But thats not their culture. Just a couple people exercising a moment of bad judgment that I'm sure they regretted later.

We share so few cities together I am surprised that you really think that you know our operation so well. Please, spend your time with more important issues than trying to paint an unfair picture of your fellow pilot brother's and sister's.

Respectfully,

SWAdude :cool:

"Never argue with a fool; people might not know the difference".

Ty, I am going to go against this advice that you posted at the end of your last statement regarding ATA. Granted, I am not a Capt at SW, but have been a F/O for a little over 2 years. No Capt has ignored, told me to ignore or otherwise disregarded a ground controllers instruction. Sorry, it just aint true. Has it happened? I'm sure it probably has but it is definitely not taught or encouraged. I have never seen it.
I too have enjoyed reading your posts over the last couple of years, and if I remember correctly you just upgraded to Capt. Congratulations!!! Honestly I commend you on your upgrade. HOWEVER,
Ty, I think it went to your head..I want the old Ty back. Anybody Else??

Last edited:
SWAdude said:
In the 10 plus years I have been here I have never seen what you are talking about.

Maybe not, but I have seen enough to believe it is a pattern. If you are a Captain, maybe that is whay you aren't seeing it- because you are not doing it.

We share so few cities together I am surprised that you really think that you know our operation so well.
FWIW, we share a lot of cities- MDW, BWI, PHL, MCO, FLL, TPA, MSY, HOU, LAS, JAX, LAX, RDU, PBI . . . . . that's at least 13.

Last edited:
Ty, Where is RSW?? Are you sure we go there. Maybe we do and I just don't recognize it. Is that Roswell? Ah-Ha you edited it out. Please dont tell me YOU made a mistake, Ty??

Last edited:
Bake said:
Ty, Where is RSW?? Are you sure we go there.

It's between "Diamonds" and "Diapers" in the dictionary . . . . . Fort Myers. Sorry, you guys don't go in there . . . yet!

Ty Webb said:
Maybe not, but I have seen enough to believe it is a pattern. If you are a Captain, maybe that is why you aren't seeing it- because you are not doing it.

Ty,

Every-time I hop in the jet I go to an SWA city. I notice the practice of a whole bunch of SWA airplanes in the sky and on the ground. Many, many more than you. And am I not in the same perspective as you to notice these acts?

You need to leave this alone Ty. You are accusing us as being dangerous. And that is far, far from the truth and extremely unfair.

And 13 cities is a few to me.

Last edited:
Actually, Id like to say from my standpoint as a controller, that I've been very impressed by the professionalism exibited by the vast majority of airline crews the past couple years. I say that because I know these have been extremely trying times for the majors. I've been doing this for around 25 years now, and I've seen games played, slow downs etc. I haven't noticed anything like that where I work for years. I commend your attitudes on the radio and cooperation folks. If I just had my pay cut 30% and retirement halved, It would be tough not to bark all the time.

SWADude and all other SWA folks,

OK, The gig is up and Ty caught us!

He has figured out that we practice the "lost comm" taxi procedure during our PC's and that our FOM directs us to "cut off all aircraft, especially Airtran, while taxiing to/from runways". That the FAA gives all SWA aircraft that use the "super-secret double mic click" prority handling and slows down all "green and white aircraft in the vicinity".

BUT, be careful, has not caught on to "Project Mayhem". Mum is the word.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back