• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA TA Passes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unfortunately, and I know I'll get a hard time for saying this, but there are numerous places in the new contract that are written in a way that they will be subject to interpretation.

This has been my pet peeve with the old CBA. Lots of seemingly good stuff in there that has been interpreted by the company to our detriment, because they used 50 words where 10 would've been clearer.

The problem with the last 15 years is guys did not have the balls to put up a fight when they thought they were being wronged..."the company said no so I will let it go" that was the problem and that is how they got away with interpreting how they want, nobody put up a fight. If you think you have been wronged throw the flag and make them answer for it....I just did the other day regarding a move-up issue. I had the cheif pilot and head of scheds involved to provide me a good answer and was not taking payroll or regular scheds guys answer and letting it go till I was satisfied. They answered it to a way that made me happy and then I moved on. If you don't call them on it it will not get fixed.

On a lighter note though, this was my first trip under the new CBA. As luck would have it, added a 3.7 trip to the end of our day today and moved us up for tomorrow. Premium pay for the leg and entire day tomorrow. 3-day trip that was a ugly 19.50 is now a 29.15. I'm not to upset about being in ALB versus the beach in FLL.:beer:

Thanks for the history lesson. Sounds like a good balance was struck. I as a consumer (when it does not make since to fly myself) am just shocked by the number of times I am not on the carrier with which I bought my ticket. I tend to prefer SWA because I know that I will be flying SWA and that SWA employees benefit. On Some "Major" carriers if I have to make a connection, I can literally fly four different airlines on a round trip flight and never fly the actual carrier I bought a ticket on. Meanwhile the flight on my Regional Jet is half way across the country.

This is why I prefer Southwest. Keep up the good work.

On a lighter note though, this was my first trip under the new CBA. As luck would have it, added a 3.7 trip to the end of our day today and moved us up for tomorrow. Premium pay for the leg and entire day tomorrow. 3-day trip that was a ugly 19.50 is now a 29.15. I'm not to upset about being in ALB versus the beach in FLL
that is what I'm talking about. part of the 1.5-2 million a month that we needed to get in writing. well, section one was paramount but that 10 trips is nice. make sure you audit your own pay though, I'm sure that there will be plenty of 'mistakes' that seem to go the company's way until it gets automated.

Gary Kelly has learned an important lesson: If you want a contract passed, just downgrade 50 CA's on the eve of the election. Don't ignore the cause and effect relationship as it may permentantly alter the good labor relations WN has historically enjoyed.

The contract would have passed with the same basic percentages, with or without the downgrades announcement. It had no effect. We already knew it was going to easily pass.

The problem with the last 15 years is guys did not have the balls to put up a fight when they thought they were being wronged..."the company said no so I will let it go" that was the problem and that is how they got away with interpreting how they want, nobody put up a fight. If you think you have been wronged throw the flag and make them answer for it....I just did the other day regarding a move-up issue. I had the cheif pilot and head of scheds involved to provide me a good answer and was not taking payroll or regular scheds guys answer and letting it go till I was satisfied. They answered it to a way that made me happy and then I moved on. If you don't call them on it it will not get fixed.

What was the answer from the CP and head of scheds? Did you get paid 1.5 for the move up that wasn't interpreted as a move up?

The problem is that the union has rarely put up a fight in these circumstances, and repeatedly allowed bad precedence to be set.

Once your collective bargaining agent has given something away, you, as an individual, will not get it back, as I suspect you've found out per your conversations with the CP and HOS.

On a lighter note though, this was my first trip under the new CBA. As luck would have it, added a 3.7 trip to the end of our day today and moved us up for tomorrow. Premium pay for the leg and entire day tomorrow. 3-day trip that was a ugly 19.50 is now a 29.15. I'm not to upset about being in ALB versus the beach in FLL.:beer:

Awesome. It's about time.

Gary Kelly has learned an important lesson: If you want a contract passed, just downgrade 50 CA's on the eve of the election. Don't ignore the cause and effect relationship as it may permentantly alter the good labor relations WN has historically enjoyed.

We needed to downgrade. Reserve Capts not flying, FO reserves flying and VJAs. It costs a ton of money to let Capts not fly. It was time. Hopefully won't last long. Gary should not be "nice" at the expense of a healthy company.

Originally Posted by 328dude
On a lighter note though, this was my first trip under the new CBA. As luck would have it, added a 3.7 trip to the end of our day today and moved us up for tomorrow. Premium pay for the leg and entire day tomorrow. 3-day trip that was a ugly 19.50 is now a 29.15. I'm not to upset about being in ALB versus the beach in FLL.

Are you sure that has been implemented via the implementation schedule?

Latest resources

Back