• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA TA Passes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is partly correct. In the FOM (page 7.2.22) Space Available pilots and dispatchers had the same priority on the jumpseat, but both were ahead of other company personnel, which included the mechanics. So the new contract keeps the mechanics behind the pilots, but also puts the dispatchers behind the pilots. Also since it is in the contract it is more difficult to change than just being in the FOM.

I didn't even know that I could have been bumped by a dispatcher on my own airline. Glad that hadn't happened to me because there woulda been some major drama if I was commuting home on say, xmas eve.

Glad this got fixed.

thanks for the explanation. I didn't know that either. I figured that pilots had first rights to the cockpit jumpseats. I'm glad that we do now.

Had a dispatcher on the jumpseat yesterday out of Midway. He said they feel defeated about the jumpseat amendment in our TA2. He said they are all going to start doing their full 5 hours of jumpseat time a year as company must rides without reducing time with takeoffs and landings.

:shudder:

I realize the dispatchers may be irritated, but it is the right way to run the jumpseat. I don't think these guys are going to go "out of their way" to fly more mandatory jumpseats. If they do, so be it. Frankly, we will never know if they are being abusive towards us because we will just see them as a must ride... unless they get in our face about it - but again, I don't think that would happen. Besides, I would imagine their extra "must rides" they are threatening are going to be fewer than the number of times they just "showed up first." It's still going to work to our advantage. The only "threat" is the Non-reduction for landings... and that's a pretty small number.

CM called the day the BOD was deliberating over the AIP and expressed problems with the policy because the Dispatchers got wind of it and were upset. Also, we can now bump Gary and Herb - unless they're must ride. Which is fine. I would imagine that any pilot would probably give up their seat for those folks - frankly the pilot and Herb would probably get into an argument about who gets to stay behind!

-fate

Latest resources

Back