SWA Slow Day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crjdude

I really want to work for Southwest, I know just like everybody else and their brother. But I have wanted to work there for years. I was turned down 2 yrs ago. Now I am eligible to reapply.

I am considering going ahead and getting the type. Really a no brainer for those who really want to fly for SWA.
But I also only have a 2 yr degree.

My question is:

1. Should I get the type or finish the 10 classes I need to get my
Bachelors degree? In your opinion which is more critical?

2. Since I was called to interview 2 yrs ago, just how important
is the 4 yr degree to SWA anyway?

3. If I was called next week for an interview, would the lack of a
type or 4 yr degree hurt me the most?

Any comments are appreciated. If anyone knows of someone hired with a 2 yr degree please let me know.

Thanks.

I also want to work for southwest but do not have a four year degree. I would go for a type rating first. At the airline I work at now we've had several guys get jobs at SWA. Some did not have four year degrees. One just had a High School diploma. So it is possible, and at SWA people get hired often without degrees.

In my guess-da-mation, it seems SWA is more interested in who you are as a person. Would you want to fly with someone with a degree who was hard to get along with or another with strong work habits who was a pleasure to work with, and no degree. I am in no way discounting the importance of a degree, it is important.

I agree with Metropilot, however, if I was in your shoes I'd go ahead with the type rating, then the Bachelors. It would have made a big difference for me had I the type prior to the interview...I'd be flying the line now instead of sitting here in the pool. (in the pool as jetpltrich)

RJ

all your eggs in one basket

Consider this...

I understand that SWA is your target. That's great, however would you rather go bird hunting with a rifle or a shot gun. Let me 'splain myself. Most major airlines require you to have a 4-year degree and if it is not listed as required, it is heavily weighted when considering your competitiveness. On the flip side, a 737 type rating will do practically nothing for you at other airlines (and can count against you if they suspect you will jump ship for SWA).

The point I am trying to make is I would definitely go for your degree first! With a 4-year degree, you are eligible for all airlines. Then get your 737 specialty (become the doctor then specialize as a surgeon).

Also realize that Fed Ex is the only major hiring right now. That is NOW, things change. Make yourself as marketable as possible and don't limit yourself to just one airline.

Goose17

There were two guys in my class with no degree. SWA wants the right type of person, period.

:) Why not get an education? You only go through life once and it will only get harder to fit in that MBA as your life get's busy with wife, kids, job, etc. As they say, "education is wasted on the youth!" or
"The only thing people are willing to pay for and not receive.....an education!"
Southwest will continue to be there to exploit, I mean utilize, your dedicated labor.

Wasted Youth

I have over 260 credit hours and No degree (sad but true) I chose to waste my youth on the Military. Sure Lots of people do college and the Military at the same time, but not I. If working for SWA is being exploited, exploit me baby!

They are more concerned witht he Type than the degree I do believe

Stay focused on your goal.... Job at SWA.

They want to see that you are dedicated to SWA... The Type rating will show that more than the degree.

You are already qualified! They would not have given you an invite for the first interview if you were not qualified for the job. They do not waste time and money at SWA to interview people that they know are not going to make it.

Stay focused!

Good Luck,

Duds

College or Type?

First, call and talk to your parents, they know you better than we do. After that, go with your gut, we're just a bunch of "yahoos" with opinions. And you know what they say about "opinions".

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back