• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Rumor Control

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Be careful- it's supposed to be hard- and you never know how a buddy interviews. Like it or not: you are judged by those interviews, not by your resume and rec letters. It takes a bit more than 'well rounded good pilot' to get on anywhere- much less a place like SWA that is so protective of it's culture- a work environment that depends on pilots hustling and working together.

I agree Wave, but its not just me. I hear stories like this all the time. We have a mechanic in Dallas who I think has been around for 10 years, and was building time flying Lears on the side. He was turned down a year ago for a pilot spot. Of course he was deemed good enough to come back the next day and continue working as a mechanic. Thats just not right.

I agree Wave, but its not just me. I hear stories like this all the time. We have a mechanic in Dallas who I think has been around for 10 years, and was building time flying Lears on the side. He was turned down a year ago for a pilot spot. Of course he was deemed good enough to come back the next day and continue working as a mechanic. Thats just not right.

That just makes me ill...

It's about par for the course with that interview team though. Until we have a change of guard over there this stuff and the other shenanigans they have been involved with will continue.

I hear you- and I haven't been here long enough. I've got a lot of good friends who have a long history of being good employees turned down. There's really no shame in having to interview more than once at Swa. My experience with the interview process is at several different airlines I've worked at.

It seems the legend of someone busting usually has less to do with the story everyone hears- and more to do with applicant performance and gremlins deep in the closet. Which is the part of the story you'll never hear.

Bc of that experience- I still have to ask- how did the mechanic perform? How dedicated has he been to 'flying', even though obviously dedicated to Swa? Like the age 60 guys who re-interviewed and weren't invited back- how was his history? Did he give an air of humility, or entitlement bc he has been an employee for so long?

I interviewed for a gate agent position at sw in flight school and was told directly that this will in no way help me with a flying career. When they turned me down- they told me as much.

We'll never know the answer to those questions. Could be the interviewer had a chip on their shoulder or their own prejudices. Noone ever interviews perfectly. What's helpful though is assuming it was your doing in the interview - somehow- and continue to refine your interview abilities- and step up your qualifications. It does no good to assume you interviewed perfect and it must be the interviewers fault.

Last edited:
The rumor I've been hearing the last week or 2, including from 2 check airman, was Panama City plus 3 or 4 more cities in 2010. A net gain of 10 new jets. If that's true, that would mean the manning issue would be solved and they would need 110 new hires. Lets hope this is true.

9-10 new jets. Probably 4-8 -300s scheduled to retire. As soon as the EFIS mods start on the -300s, that will take a few out of the inventory also.

Short of a buying another airline/merger, SWA is probably at least 24 months from hiring.

But that could change.

Chest, that's what my friend keeps telling me. He's saying that they are talking late 2012 to 2013 for hiring again. Most of that based on planned retirements.

Short of a buying another airline/merge
which would most likely push any hiring even further down the road. growth through merger/acquisition is not organic growth. they already have the pilots to fly the airplanes you get, and most likely we wouldn't even keep their airplanes if they weren't 737s.

This message is hidden because Tanker Clown is on your ignore list.
one of my favorite sights on FI.

part of the 2012 hiring boom

Chest, that's what my friend keeps telling me. He's saying that they are talking late 2012 to 2013 for hiring again. Most of that based on planned retirements.
and that will part fo the 2012 hiring boom

Latest resources

Back