• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA raising hiring mins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Been nice if they had grandfathered those already with the type.

Yep, I agree. I am sitting with right in the middle with 1150 PIC. I seem to be a permanent FO here at AA so I can't GET anymore PIC. Wouldn't have done the type if I was below the mins.

Yeah, I know life isn't fair

Yep again. Their game; their rules.

Unit
Now Below Mins

AMRCostUnit,
I can’t blame you for wanting to switch to an airline that is stable. Also, I can't blame you for wanting to work in a more positive environment. Here is some food for thought, however.

American Airlines Retirements:
2005-219
2006-313
2007-351
2008-457
2009-459
2010-397
2011-340
2012-329
2013-405
2014-405
2015-584
2016-643
2017-691
2018-739
2019-735
2020-750
2021-724
2022-623
2023-509
2024-486
2025-417

Depending on your age, it might be worth it to stay at AMR. Maybe, maybe not.

FlyBoeingJets - I had a friend who got hired by FedEx and SWA. I'm not gonna say who he picked, because I don't want to start another flight-info war. If you want to get in touch with him, send me a private message.

Last edited:
Can I count the number post on Flightinfo towards the SWA minimums?? In plain talk, I have 1100 PIC BE-1900 hrs but have 260 posts. Does this mean that I have 1360 hrs??

Sorry, though I was being baited. New to the board, but long time reader. Never liked seeing pilots flaming pilots. Promised myself I wouldn't get pulled into that crap.

To answer the mail, because? Because I am in the FedEx pool. Bird in the had? Sure, always a true statement. Especially this day and age.

Educating the masses? I think you should take ANY flying job you can get that would improve your chances of upgrading to a major...I mean, that's why we're all here, isn't it? Remember those TWA L-1011 commercials?

Decision process? Well, I left the safety of the USN to pursue a career in the commercial aviation industry right after 9/11. My detailer called me and asked if I still wanted to get out, told him yes. Went on to gain 121 experience (with anybody = regional). Why? As a pure military guy, wanted to crack this code of 121 flying...get something on my resume. And it worked.

IN MY OPINION, this day and age (thanks to bin laden, that pr1ck), I think it is a safer bet to fly cargo over pax. You always gotta ship boxes! Although, anything can happen...

Have a friend deep into JB who called and said, my name was just 'pulled', asked if he should pull the trigger, told him 'no thanks'. Same thing happened with CA. The majors just aren't solid right now. The market is flooded with pilots...someone will fly for peanuts (like me with the regional), simple supply and demand.

Regardless, I am honored to be 'swimming' in the pool now with FedEx, and am looking forward to retiring as a FedEx CA.

My guess is they place the "minimums" about 500 hours below competitive. The logic is that they just reduce the amount of paper and effort going into the garbage can.

Does any SWA pilot have an informal # of PIC turbine hours - average for hiring?

I'm guessing 1700-2000. Military pilots less, civilian more.

They only have to shave the "best" off the top.

For those wanting SWA hopefully that means you.

Latest resources

Back