swa question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wrong question

You can't really look at it from a perspective of "how many months?" You need to ask "how many classes?" The reality is only a few lucky (old, i.e. more senior within the class) folks are lucky to skip reserve altogether. That's due to the fact there may be 2 or even 3 classes joining the seniority list in a given month and they may have 50+ guys behind them (2.5 classes of 20-24) for their very first bid. It's unlikely for them but possible. I think my class had 6-8 guys skip reserve thanks to the big beginning of the year surge.

If you're like most of us, your timing isn't as good as that. Expect to sit reserve for a month or two at the most junior bases (currently probably OAK/MDW) expect to sit a couple of more months at the next tier or senior bases (BWI/HOU/PHX) and all bets are off for DAL and MCO. Remember when I say expect a certain number of months, the assumption is hiring continues at a steady, measured pace. There will be surges when everyone is off reserve in a month nearly everywhere and there will be (unfortunately) pauses in hiring that will lock everyone where they are for potentially months. Guys like YellowLab are still on reserve because hiring really slowed down dramatically since he got on the line. He'll see some good movement when the current classes start bidding.

Best of luck to all. Hopefully this will answer some of the questions people have.

firstthird said:
In live in bases (DAL, MCO, PHX) reserve tends to go senior so new guys get hard lines fast.

Okay, here's my SWA seniority experience. I'm an April '05 newhire, and I am still waiting to get a hard line in Orlando. Reserve at SWA is not bad at all, I commute and can usually trade a couple reserves for trips each month, and I've flown all but 6 days on reserve since August.

June - IOE, then MCO hard line for rest of month
July - OAK hard line (traded for an MCO hard line)
Aug - MCO reserve
Sep - MCO reserve
Oct - MCO reserve
Nov - MCO reserve
Dec - MCO hard line (the only month I've seen reserve go senior)
Jan - MCO reserve

Base seniority for FOs as of Jan 06 (most senior to most junior): DAL, HOU, MCO, BWI, PHX, OAK, MDW. I'm expecting better seniority in Feb when MCO grows by 8 or so FO positions.

Fly-diver said:
Base seniority for FOs as of Jan 06 (most senior to most junior): DAL, HOU, MCO, BWI, PHX, OAK, MDW.

Just want to throw out this nugget for thought. You have to remember ones seniority is also dependent on the number of senior pilots who choose your domicile over another. In my case, I am more senior in HOU and PHX than BWI simply due to the number of pilots ahead of me who have choosen BWI rather than another domicile.

My Jan seniority looks like this...most senior to most junior: DAL, MCO, BWI, HOU, PHX, OAK, MDW.

Just realize everyone's seniority will vary slightly among domiciles. Seniority will also vary month to month, as bases grow and shrink and people switch from one to another. But Jayhawkdude make a good point...getting classes behind you is the key.

Congrats on getting the call to join SWA.

Yahtz

changing domiciles?

Just curious, It sounds like you are saying you are able to change your domicile frequently. Are you not locked for some period of time or can you move about freely?
thanks

Just waiting for a phone call in january!!:cool:

if there is an opening and your seniority can hold it you are free to shift monthly. openings tend to occur monthly right now due to hiring rates, i think in 2005 there were 10 out of 12 months where every base had movement.

Yahtz,

The fake punt, ya gotta be ready for the fake punt.:smash:

Bingo_Fuel said:
Just curious, It sounds like you are saying you are able to change your domicile frequently. Are you not locked for some period of time or can you move about freely?

As canyon blue said you are not locked in to a base, if there is a vacancy bid and you seniority allows you can move. The only lock in that SWA has is into a Capt seat. That lock in is for 4 months, but it is not domicile specific.

The February bid had new hires going to OAK, MDW, BWI, MCO, and one to PHX. Put another way, the senior guy coming online in February had his choice of five of the seven domiciles so it looks like seniority at the bottom has evened out some.

737tanker said:
.....The only lock in that SWA has is into a Capt seat. That lock in is for 4 months, but it is not domicile specific.

If you upgrade to captain why would you need to be seat locked? SWA still only has one aircraft type, right?:erm:
Thanks

Bingo_Fuel said:
If you upgrade to captain why would you need to be seat locked? SWA still only has one aircraft type, right?:erm:
Thanks
You are locked into the Capt seat for 4 months after upgrade. SWA doesn't want to have someone go through upgrade and then bid back to F/O. If you upgrade as a Lance (an F/O who can pick up and fly Capt trips) the there is no lock.

Latest resources

Back