SWA Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rythm3

As far as civilian pilots are concerned, how does Southwest like corporate guys?

I have heard a lot about them liking military, and 121 pilots, but have not heard much about them hiring corporate pilots. I know they do hire them, but what do they prefer?

More importantly, what are the numbers like recently as far as interviews are concerned?

Any insight will help.

Thanks. Rythm3

Rythem,

IMHO I don't think WN cares what you did to meet the mins. We don't hire folks for what they did, but what they can do.

I've flown with many, many corporate guys in the years I've been here. And I know we continue to hire them.

We have a great cross section of folks here, with no one group preferred or protested.

Two of my best WN buddies, that I met in newhire class, were corp guys.

HC

I'm a former Corporate guy/ Freight dog..and they hired me.

Dude. you cannot change where you came from at this point anyway, so who cares what the odds are? If this is what you want, you'll never know ifyoudon't try. Figure out if you'd like to work for WN ( I know that sounds dumb, I wouldn't waste my time applying if this isn't the company wou want to retire from ... cause the interviewers will sniff you out) Then make sure you have the requirements, and apply! Whatever statictics exist have little to do with weather you'll get hired (here or anywhere else).

Best o luck

Priorities

Rythm3,

You've got your priorities wrong by worrying about what types of background pilots have. SWA likes people that will fit in with the company's culture and shows potential to contribute. Our class had military, Part 121, and corporate pilots. You should concentrate on:
1. getting the amount/type of flight hours required,
2. getting a B-737 type rating,
3. learning about company/culture.
I've been with SWA since 7 April 2003 and have flown with pilots with a wide variety of backgrounds. Hope this helps and answer your concerns. Any one of us will be happy to answer any questions you have and help you get on board. Take care.

Rythm3,

SWA makes an effort to have a nice mix in every class. They like some from all facets of aviation, military, civilian, corporate charter, other airlines, etc in every class. This makes for a great well rounded pilot group rather than just focusing on one pilot background as some airlines do.

As you probably know, the other thing that makes SWA sort of unique in the interview process is that unlike UAL and others that put you in front of some pilots who ask technical and sometimes intimidating questions or have you fly some piece of crap simulator that is like no other airplane on the world, they already know you can fly an airplane or you wouldn't be at the interview. I also recall absurd, inane tests at my UAL interview years ago also. What a waste of time and money for UAL. I despised their interview process as I did AA's but I digress. The SWA process was so much friendlier and less intimidating.

SWA is primarily and simply looking at an applicant's attitude more than anything else.

AA and UAL interviews and now at SWA?

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** dude you need to open an how-to-get-an-interview business to give Darby some competition

:)

Thow an app in at JetBlue. There are a bunch of great guys there with primarily a corporate background. Customer service? Heck...corp guys are the experts. I imagine SWA would also love to give you a shot.

Was it Wayne Gretsky that said "you miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take?" Get shooting!

Latest resources

Back