SWA posts $162 Mil Net Income/ $.22 per share

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dash Power,

SWA's fuel hedges have been a topic of debate for some time now. Good job in silencing the critics of what hedges do for a company like SWA. The "SWA wouldn't make a profit" crowd appears to be speechless.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't SWA have some 2.5 billion plus in cash. It would take 25 years to lose it at a loss of 100 mil a year, right. So if there is a recession in the future and oil drops down as a result,bingo, SWA can rehedge, due to the fact that they have the best credit rating in the industry. I don't think they have a problem.

To those at SWA, great job. To those at other airlines, why bash? Hedge or no hedge, International ops or LBB, big jet / small jet....who cares. Make your own world great. Time to grow up kids.

General, 9000+ posts ????? get out much?

I think he's on the road a lot trying to pay the bills with C-scale wages...stop dragging the rest of us down Gen'ral!

Screw the hedge issue. LUV's a solidly run company that would be making money with or without hedges.

The management there is very talented and they have a very deep bench of talented managers ready to step in to replace those that retire.
You guys ever consider buying United? Please make Tilton an offer; it's for sale. :)

Without hedges SWA may have raised fares a lot more and still been very profitable. Yes, they could do so now with their hedges but why make it easier for the competition to make more money and become more competitive in the long run?

Screw the hedge issue. LUV's a solidly run company that would be making money with or without hedges.

The management there is very talented and they have a very deep bench of talented managers ready to step in to replace those that retire.
You guys ever consider buying United? Please make Tilton an offer; it's for sale. :)

To me, United is the real diamond in the rough. Couple that international route structure with someone's strong domestic side, and you have something.

Without hedges SWA may have raised fares a lot more and still been very profitable. Yes, they could do so now with their hedges but why make it easier for the competition to make more money and become more competitive in the long run?

That is exactly right.

Latest resources

Back