• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA posts $162 Mil Net Income/ $.22 per share

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is great that you have the hedges, good for you. Answer the question.

Bye Bye--General Lee

As well as it is good for you that Delta doesn't have to pay you $131.00/hr, like Southwest has to pay those SWA FO's.

I bet SWA would make more money if we paid our top FO's $103/hr like Delta, I'll take the fuel hedges.

Is it just me or is this all the same crap different quarter? Next quarter SWA will post a profit that will be dismissed due to hedges. As will the quarter after that, and the one after that, ect.

All I can say to a legacy guys is...wait until your concessions run out. Without them you'd loose money. But then again...maybe they'll just give up the cash again.

I am very happy SWA is in the green. I hear some pretty interesting things are in the works to enhance revenue. Great!

My bro is at Delta. I am thrilled they are making a profit. I am especially looking forward to them regaining some of their lost pay. If he goes to Barcelona and has a great time, I am happy for him. If I go to podunk city and have a great time, he is happy for me.

What irritates us both are those people who do not get that SWA and Delta pilots are both unionized and are therefore on the same team. When the Delta pilots do well, it helps SWA pilots and vice versa. If United, NWA, American, guys become the highest paid, I say Bravo. I am happy for them. A rising tide floats all boats and I work to rise to the top once again.

I hope that those pilots at the non-union carriers will find a newfound sense of responsibility to themselves and the rest of the profession. I hope they unionize and hop on board. While we all know that 65K, even 90K is not acceptable for a narrowbody Captain, perhaps we need to offer our assistance to help them achieve better in all subsequent posts.

I digress though...

Congrats to all the SWA folks whose hard work makes a profit possible. Congrats to the Delta folks, CAL folks, and other airlines that are in the green and are working to raise the bar.

I have been around a while and will never understand fellow pilots envy of others doing well. As well as others gloating at some doing poorly. A healthy industry is in everyones best interests. We should all be happy at success and concerned with failure. They both affect us all.

With that being said back to the hedges. The reason why hedges are not a consideration of whether you make a profit or not is because they are used as a way to predict future costs. When SWA knows how much they will be spending on fuel the next year (hedges) they price their product based on what is largely now a fixed cost. It does not matter whether the price of oil goes up or down because their product is priced based on a known future cost, the cost of the hedged oil.

I have been around a while and will never understand fellow pilots envy of others doing well. As well as others gloating at some doing poorly. A healthy industry is in everyones best interests. We should all be happy at success and concerned with failure. They both affect us all.

glad to see others feel this way.

the way i see it goes like this: if the airline workers don't take care of one another then no one else will. the hospitality from crews and gate agents while jumpseating always restores my faith in my affliction known as 'the airlines'. this industry has taken a lot from us, but we are all well poised to take it back.

take care of each other out there and realize that one day you could lose it all due to unforeseen circumstances.

thanks to all the life-improving jumpseat rides i have received from SWA, AA, DAL, CAL, XJT, F9, NWA, AE, CHQ, and others that i can't remember right now. professionalism and united resolve will allow us all to prosper.

happy skies

It was interesting to see that LUV posted a $165 million profit last quarter, with fuel hedges bringing in $183 million. Without good hedging, it looks like LUV would be around $20 million in the red. Am I right on this? Thank gawd you have hedging. Good job for that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Think of it like this, oil is at about 90 bucks a barrel and SWA has it at about 25 bucks. If oil went down to 10 bucks a BARREL do you think we would loosing are ass ?

Think of it like this, oil is at about 90 bucks a barrel and SWA has it at about 25 bucks. If oil went down to 10 bucks a BARREL do you think we would loosing are ass ?

Dash Power's post enlightened me to answer no on this one. Because their cost for gas at the pump would go down, increase operating profit as well and equal out the loss on the hedge.

Dash Power has 13 posts to Generals 9000+. But says more in his 13 than Gens 9000.

Latest resources

Back