• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's my stats:

Interviewed: May 8, 2001
Board Met: End of June
Go get type letter: July 2
Faxed type to People Dept: Aug 30
Originally told to expect Nov-Dec class.

From the posts I've read people who interview "already with types" are on the fast track to a class. Does anyone have a feel for how much preference they're given? In other words, when filling classes do they empty the "interviewed with type" pile before they start on the "interviewed without type" pile? A buddy of mine just got called for the Jan 4 class. He interviewed 2 months after me (mid-late July) but already had his type.

Thanks.

Fellow poolies..

Its my understanding that the pool is drained based on first in first out..
At the point you enter the pool you are placed in order of date of splash down..

Before all the recent world events the with/without type effected
you in two ways..How fast you were called for the interview..And how fast you went to school..

In the first case.. preference was given to those with types and all things being equal it was taking around six months longer to get the interview without the type..

In the second case..After completing the hiring process you went straight into the pool if you already had the type..All things being equal..The time difference between two people that finished the process that same day..but one didnt have the type..was how long it took to get the type and fax the copy to SWA..The guy with the type would be that far above you in the pool..Once in the pool we are pretty much equal..

The only thing that may change some peoples place in the pool are the military folks that dont know if they are coming or going until Uncle Sam says they can..

Otherwise... Its first wet...First saved..

MLBWINGBORN

The best information we have is that you are called in the order you entered the pool with a type rating. An alternate way to think of this is: you aren't really in line until you get the type rating. If your buddy got the green light from the decision board before you faxed your type rating, he is a little ahead of you.

Prediction... Based on the information I have compiled from this list and from contact I've had with one other SWA interviewee, taking into account Jennifer's comments to these various individuals. I'll bet you a light beer and a pack of Southwest peanuts that you will be in the second January class.

Good Luck!

Doug

Awaiting4swa,
When did your buddy that interviewed in mid july get the letter saying he was in the pool, this is the info that we need to make this post as accurate as possible.

My buddy's board met the end of Aug. He got the "you're swimming" call Aug 28.

I did notice there are several poolies on this thread who started swimming before Aug 28. Have spife, n1atmax, shamu4me, or pilot4swa gotten a class.

Fellow poolies..

Just got off the phone with Jennifer..I asked her about when the cut off was for the Jan 3rd class ..She wouldnt say but was able to say my estimate was very close as far as who was being called about the first class..

So..The data points are working..Keep em coming in..

As far as who has been offered a class let me repeat what we know..
Those that have been called so far for the first class have been people put in the pool prior to the second week of August..

At this point they are still working on filling just the first class..

She did say that the stop loss folks are going to have some impact on the second class in Jan..This is because some of those folks are going to find out about their status sometime after the first ..

For those hoping for the second class in Jan that got in the pool in the middle of August ..Like myself..Its gonna be close..

MLBWINGBORN

Thanks for all the great info. It's tough to be waiting for your dream job in these unsettled times, but I sure am thankful to be in a swimming pool where the water is nice and warm!

Hey Mike, thanks for trying to keep track of the pool. Your info regarding the "cutoff" for January classes appears to have a couple exceptions. Myself and a buddy of mine both got our type ratings July 29th and faxed them on July 30th to the People Department. We both previously were "hired" by the May board when we were given 6 months to get our type ratings. So far Jennifer is telling both of us that getting into a January class is very unlikely. This has us both a bit confused since guys who got their type ratings just a week prior to us are getting called for the first January class. Of course we can't get any info from her about the methodology they are using to fill classes. Have you actually heard from anyone that got typed in August and has been offered a class date? Waiting patiently, see ya!

Don't know whether this is true or not, but I've heard that SWA is also trying get a certain average age per class. That may have some play in this.

Interviewed May 10th

DB July 26th

Typed Aug 21st

Congrats letter dated Aug 22nd

Nice Christmas letter from Jennifer Dec 4th

Originally told Nov-Dec

Hoping for Feb (or Jan)

No call yet

Latest resources

Back