Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OPIE01

Coffee Break is over!
I am told I will be in the 3rd class that SWA has. This class will probably not be until Jan/Feb 03.

I was just offered a Job flying for a local Corporation. But they said that they would appriciate it if I didn't take the job if I was planning to leave.

The current pilot they have is a retired AF pilot like myself who has been working for them for many years now. They are a major trucking company that is nationwide.

I don't know anything about the Corporate world. Except they fly a KingAir 300 and are going to get a jet.

It if Part 135 Ops and they are hiring me to be the PIC. I have no Idea what kind of pay someone gets for this or the type of life that is associated with it. The current pilot loves the job, and becuase it is Part 135 is still flying at age 68.

Please help me with the pros and cons. I am 39 with a steady military retirement Check and enjoy flying no matter what it is.

Thanks in advance.

Glad to help

Opie,

Send me a PM if you'd like. I'll be glad to help. I used to fly a BE-300 years ago. Good airplane. Requires a type rating.

Coop

Opie, you didn't say what your current job is, but if you have any job at all I sure wouldn't take the corporate job. I'd wait it out for SWA. I wouldn't take the corporate job unless you are so unemployed that the bank is about to repo your house and throw your family on the street. To be a man of your word, I sure wouldn't take it for the short term and then go to SWA. Jan/Feb isn't all that far off, and who knows, they may end up having a couple/3 classes this year yet. If not, it's still worth the wait.

Opie,

Stay the current course. Your family will enjoy the benefits of you flying for a major.... and you'll definetly enjoy the 737. Be patient my friend. My family has non-rev'd their arses off and can't wait to get on with SWA!!!!! It'll be here before you you know it :)

Wait it out!

If it were me I would definitely wait for Southwest. With the retirement you can hopefully make it for a few more months, and its still possible that they will have some more classes this year. Just my $.02 since you asked. Congrats on your dilemma!

Wait it out!!

I can only tell you that the wait is worth it!! I am in my second week here at SWA and I still think that I am in a dream.
If you got some coin banked and you are getting a steady paycheck from the government you would be much wiser holding out till you get the call from SWA.
Enjoy the time off as a gift to yourself for putting in 20+ years in the service and just wait it out -- "your time will come grasshopper"

This place rocks!!

Could you offer to fly SIC on a contract basis - just to help them out? I don't know if that is an option. I hear great things about SWA - you will be happy there.

Good luck

They said they are getting a jet? Sure...... As a former Corporate flyer, I can tell you that things can change fast in the corpprate world.
I was flying for a dot.com company, going to stay there "forever" with stock options etc...

Wait for SWA we have 370+ jets..with more on the way. Sure thing - about as close as you can get.

GO SWA!!!!

Thanks for the advice

It isn't a money issue, God provides for us very well. I just have no Idea what the Corporate world is like.

My wife says, SWA here we come. She says she has worked to hard to get this close to stop now.

Money has never been the issue for us, and I am sure I will be away from home just as much in the Corporate world as with SWA.

It did boost my moral after two long days of giving finals at school to a bunch of 12-14 year olds that did want to be there, to get offered a flying job.

Thanks for the moral support.

See you all in Dallas soon.

Dang, I would have been darn interested in math if my teacher was a retired military aviator :eek:

joe

Latest resources

Back