SWA pool question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Point of order:

There is no seniority in a pool. You may THINK you have seniority, and generaly speaking they pull people out in the order of their hiring and type rating date. However--you are not an employee, a union member, or anything at this point but a guy with a promise.

SWA has kept their promises over the years--that's the good news. But I wouldn't be surprised if a few names go out of the order you think is "fair" based on circumstances you are not aware of...

Not meant to sound mean-spirited--just reminding everyone to keep all options open and keep your day jobs....

Good luck!

Your pool date is your interview date if you interviewed with the type. Otherwise it will be the date you get the type. So yes, you would be senior.

To piggy back on a some of what Albie said, your pool date is "generally" your interview date (if you had the type) or the date you got the type, but they are NOT firm pool dates.

In my class at HPA, we had about 6 that were "pre-hires". We all received our types over 2 days, yet were were given class dates that were spread over about a month (4 classes I think). There were people in my SWA class that received their types almost a full month after we did at HPA, all while there will still guys from my HPA class waiting for a class date. I was two months from my type date to class, while there were others that were just over a month.

So, you can generally plan on when you are going to get into class by when you get your type, but I wouldn't been surprised if you hear someone getting their type after you is in class before you. There are a lot of dynamics behind the scenes that go into a class makeup.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to rain on anybodys parade but we generally DO stop hiring in the fall of the year. They use the excess from the summer beef-up (higher vacation and sick call rates) to get thru the leaner fall where guys are picking up more and flying more of their original line.

You can be for sure they won't run 3 or 4 classes a month even if they do hire into the fall months.

Gup

Why would you say something so stupid just to aggrevate people with this crap?

I'm not trying to aggravate anyone. I've been told by more than one person that the pool is alphabetical. Please enlighten us if you know how it works.

BVT94,
you've been told wrong. Back in the day, your pool date was either your interview date or your type rating date, whichever was later.

There was a little movement around that based on the 'mix' that the People department wants in each class, but the pool list we ran back from 2002-2004 was close to right on and that was the methodology.

This has been stated before in this very thread, which is why people might think you are stirring the pot unnecessarily.

The pool dates work two ways depending on your background. If you interview and pass the DB with a type, your pool date is the date you interviewed. If you pass the DB without the type, your pool date is the date in which you pass your type ride and notify the company.

The DB calls are based on alphabetically listed last names.

Didn't mean to jump on ya pardner

The DB calls are based on alphabetically listed last names.

Not true. I had a friend on the same day as me get the call before me and his name is after mine. I assume you are tlkaing about when each asst cp calls, they are going by letter. Which still does not mean anything because each may call at a different time. just a thought.

Just had an interview for FA. Almost 2 weeks ago. They already emailed some back there no thanks but thanks letters. We were told they need us bad for LAS. Have ya heard anything about FA's?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back