Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

w8n4swa

...in OAK!
The pool update was just sent in...dated September 11, 2002.

We're up to 238 now....10 more since the last update.

Also, been told one of our members listed (225) was actually in the 15-Jul-02 class, so we all move up a notch!

We need a few more to make this complete....

Thanks to you all for sending in the info....please keep it comin'.

W8n4swa:cool:

No thank you, mon

Hey thanx for doin all the leg work. Buy you a beer if you ever get to Altus, OK.

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong...

OK, speaking of the list, here's what I figure. (I got a PC this weekend and for some reason I just can't get motivated to study for it...)

I ran a cursory check of the last seniority list I saw (4-1-02), and I came up with about 67 guys retiring from 10/02 through the end of 12/03.

Then I figured there's about 4150 on the seniority list right now, divided by about 368 airplanes, comes out to 11.2 pilots per airplane.

In 2003, SWA is supposed to have a net gain of 8 airplanes (14 new ones minus 6 -200 retirements).
8 new planes = about 90 pilots, then replace the 67 guys retiring, and I come up with about 157 total new hires between now and the end of '03. This of course assumes that: 1. My math is correct
2. SWA maintains the same staffing levels per aircraft and 3. No additional expansion.
So, all that to say, if we take our poolie number x 1.5168 to get the hypothesized SWA poolie number (361 guessed in actual pool/238 in our list), I'm guessing Duke23, coming in at #103, will be the last from our list to get hired by the end of 2003.
Now, will somebody PLEASE tell me I'm wrong? It's getting wet in here...

Cdr. Data

Hey PT (aka Commander Data) -

Nice work dude, hope you pass your checkride..... could you add the probability of medical retirements and accidental deaths to the equation too??? Might as well consider ALL of the possibilities... you may get a cleaner run if you take the Poolie Factor out a few more decimal places too!!!!!:D

Have a great day dude - hang in there - I am sure it will happen sooner than later.... I HOPE!!!! - Tred

1.5168067, but who's counting?

And that would be CW2 Data to use my correct IRR title:)

I'm not getting many LUV vibes here, guys....
I'm sorry! I didn't mean to be so gloomy,
and I still want to get invited to all the parties, at least the clean ones that is:)

Ptinbound stated:

"....and I came up with about 67 guys retiring from 10/02 through the end of 12/03."

The issue of retirements is something that affects all SW poolies (and all other airline poolies, furloughies, etc.) to a great extent. There are numerous threads in this forum explaining that there is yet another attempt to raise the retirement age to 65 (SWA's own pilot union is apparently for it, please correct me if I'm wrong). In all these threads, I tend to get the impression that people are generally for the extension (I hope I'm wrong). There certainly doesn't seem to be a whole lot of people coming out against it.

If you are against it, call and write you senators now.

If this retirement age increase bill passes, I hope this pool and everybody else's pool is heated, 'cause it could be a long swim.

Re: age 65 rule

JohnDoe, is the only reason your against it because your afraid it will take longer for one to get hired or drain the pool? What other reasons do you have that make you think this is a bad idea?

RJ #24

Well, no, "pool treading time" isn't the only reason, but I would think it would be a pretty good one for those who are waiting. 5 years of no pilot retirements could put a pretty good dent in the equation for newhires.

Less vertical movement within a company is another. In order to get a captain slot, a current captain has to go away. If they now get another 5 years to stay, obviously that will slow everbody's movement down. Granted, an increase in the number of aircraft could offset the effect, but in this day and age, new a/c deliveries can't always be counted on. The retirements were a given.

To those who say that they would rather wait a few more years now and be able to retire later......well, it seems like a wash to me. You wait 3,4,5 years now to get the job because of reduced retirements, but then only get 5 back at the end.

Other airline furloughies have other issues to think about. Most airlines have a limit to the amount of time you retain your seniority number until you recall. For some, if this increase happens, it could mean they will never get to retire at 60 or 65 because they may never make it back before their number expires. Is this for sure? Of course not. But with the way things are these days, an increase in the age sure pushes it a little closer to a reality.

Yes, I am aware that SW people don't really have to worry about the above issue, but you never know. I guess my post was in relation to what I saw in this thread. People in the SW pool are taking pilot retirements into consideration when trying to figure out when they can dry off. I wanted to shed some light on the fact that if this bill passes, the retirement side of their equation changes.

As we are all aware, the entire industry is a little rocky right now (to say the least), and obviously myself nor anybody else has all the answers. If I did, I'd be alot wealthier than I am now.

Like everything, there are pros and cons to each side. Somebody else said (I think it was Boeingman) that this is one of those double-edged sword issues. Somebody is gonna get hosed.

If nothing else.....I sure don't want to work past 60.....I'd like some time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.....
:)

Latest resources

Back