SWA pool decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Shootr,

Did you ever call LL? What did she say your options were?

I talked to her a couple of months ago about staying/extending on active duty. Basically, she was clear about the fact that if I decided to take another assignment (2-3 yr committment)....I would have to go through the whole hiring process again (loose spot in pool). This of course assuming that SWA was actively trainning new hires during that time. It had to do with being too much time elapsing between my original board date and my "potential" new availabilty date. They would have to have me start over. One year extension seemed to be no big deal to her, and seemed workable. So it sounds like you would be alright in your situation. LL emphasized the importance of updating the "availabilty date" so that you don't get a call for SWA training and then have to turn it down because you are not available. I guess you only get a chance to turn down one call, then you have to go on the next offer of training; turn that down, and you start the hiring process all over.

Mind you, this is what I interpreted from my phone call. You should call her yourself. Oh by the way, take my unofficial SWA pool position and multiply it by 1.47 (?) and I am number 300 and something in the pool. So, I won't know whether you stay in or get out of the pool. Heck, I can't even see from here.

Aplus9

Yes, I did call LL. She was very nice about it and told me the 1 year would be no big deal. I'm currently #151 on our unofficial pool list and she said I wouldn't start until August '03 or later. They're still not sure how long this hiring cycle will even last. She told me I'll keep my position in the pool, they'll call me when they get to my name just in case I can separate from the Navy (it won't count as turning a class down since I'm giving them a new availability date now), and then I'll stay at the top of the list until my availability date comes up which will put me in the very next class.

Good Luck,
shootr

shootr-
I am #150 in our pool right in front of you , but like said above, there are a lot more people apparantly swimming in SWA's pool. She told me I was "on the bubble" in 6 months from January so your August estimate is probably pretty accurate. Let's hope we both make it soon!

Les

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back